Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cold Outside = Warm, Yummy Food Inside

I haven't posted any of the recipes for weekly crock pot dishes I have made lately. I am blowing off getting out of the house for ANY reason given that it's cold, raining and likely going to freeze over tonight. I DID go to the 8:30 service this morning so I get SOME credit today. I am staying in curling up on my couch with fireplace on with my book and Sunday paper in a matter of minutes.

Lentil Stew with Butternut Squash-

3 lg stalks of celery- sliced
1 sweet onion-chopped
1 butternut squash- chunked (I used TJ prepared)
1 bag of brown lentils- Love me some Lentils fixed anyway!
4 cups water + 1 can broth (I used Chicken stock as I had it on hand)
1/2 tsp of dried rosemary
salt and pepper

Top with shaved Parmesan/Romano cheese and parsley

Directions- Combine all ingredients into a slow cooker for 8 hours. Serve with garnish.

Heather's Clean out the Fridge Hope it's Good Soup-

Make if you dare... I basically wanted to clean out the fridge to wipe it out before I head to the grocery. I figured I'm loosing less than 5 bucks if it sucks!

1/2 bottle of V-8 juice
2 cups of cooked Kashi Pilaf
2 cups of cooked, diced chicken
2 cups of Chicken Stock
1 bag of TJ frozen Soyatash (soybeans, corn, and red pepper)
a little chopper onion, cilantro, salt and pepper

Dump all ingredients into the crock pot and simmer on low until you want to eat it... like about 5 hours from now. I already had corn muffins I made to use up milk although I am thinking a grilled cheese might be good too.

Either of these soups pale in comparison to the quite yummy meal we shared with friends last night at Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse. Very good although for what I ate they made a MAJOR profit on me. That's all right as Bill and Matt made up the difference plus in true Heather and Chrissy style we had coupons!

No comments: