Monday, March 9, 2009

Make it Work People!


Today is one of my all time favorite days for Civics... the day of the Inaugural Ball and the Big Bureaucracy Rap Off. The inaugural ball is simply a boring President poster turned into a Cereal. Want some Delanos or Bush Bites? The kids all bring in samples of President's favorite foods and we pass around the boxes. I am upping the ante this year and also having groups present their Bureaucracy raps for the ball entertainment.

Before you want to submit an entry I must warn you that the topics (regulatory commissions, independent agencies, and gov't corporations) would make Chuck D give pause how to get down with his bad self. At least the kids remember a little more.

In case you were wandering I too present my rap about the CDC, IRS, and FED to the tune of the Bestie Boys "You have to Fight for your Right to Party". Needless to say, many are horrified and have never seen a teacher beat box all in the name of education. This brings me to my post title today. Last week one of my students asked if I watch Project Runway as I say Tim Gunn's famous line anytime we are working on a big class project.

I do ALOT of projects to try and jazz up the class and help them find the "Hot Senate Action" that lives buried deep in my subject. Here's a picture of my wall of fame. You NEVER get too old to see your work on display!

I would invite you to my class, but you would have to come with your own desk... I'm all out. speaking of desks on mine is picture of Mr T. A gift of a past student who gave me the best of all complements, "You are the Mr. Hand (Fast Times..)of my Life." At least he didn't compare me to Mark Harmon in Summer School.

1 comment:

ElizabethS said...

You so need to videotape the rap for Ben to see someday in the future (and to post!). :)