Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Student was Published on NPR!

About two months ago I submitted an AP Gov student's essay to This I Believe, a weekly segment on the show All Things Considered. It had been our closing activity for the course. I figured it would be a total long shot to be accepted and that likely our class would be the only forum ever to hear their work. Guess not!

My student was contacted that her essay was published in it's entirety on the NPR site. While they are not going to read it on the air, I am proud that of the essays submitted to this national NPR show they picked hers to publish. Check out her essay titled Is Mac n'Cheese Yellow Better than Pink Flamingo?

Before I even knew this awesome news, as I was sitting at church Sunday I thought about this class of Seniors about to graduate. I had just heard that St. Francis will be the site of my school baccalaureate services in June and there was a call for church members to provide the reception.

Of the over 1000 kids that have passed through my doors I will miss a select group from this class more than any other. I feel through teaching and knowing so many from NHS for the past 3 years that I have watched them mature from gangly 15 year olds to seniors about to embark of a great new chapter of life.

Students like Eileen are rare so when you get the chance to know them, it makes your day, semester, and career.

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Woo hoo.

As proud as you are of her, I'm just as proud of you for giving her the opportunity to achieve something like that.