Sunday, January 18, 2009

We have the Golden Tickets!


This American Life did a show yesterday about expectations for the incoming Obama administration. Many of the interviews included a comparison to the Bush tenure. A must listen for anyone on either side of the fence about Obama.

Laura and I are leaving in a matter of hours for what I hope will be one of the best moments of my life. I have had many strong feelings about how the country that I stand up and teach open minds to love and honor has acted less than honorable in the last 8 years. January 20th @12:01pm is a new chapter in US history.

I believe that Bush acted in what he thought was HIS best interest or that of his advisors. He has had to make tough decisions that I would never want to ponder my response. So in that vein I am leaving the following experiences of where my life and the Bush administration have crossed-

For the Voters of the 2000 Election- Proof that the Constitution is the Ultimate Plan B in cases of emergency. Who would have thought anyone cared about the Electoral College since gov't class.

For my 2nd block students at Lee Co High School on 9/11/01- I am sorry that I could not give you an explanation as to why and how. I would have done anything not to be part of your personal history of "where was I at when I heard the news." It was all I could do that day to be the adult in the room just to read it news and not intprepret it.

To my 4th period students at Enloe- Your discussion about race and poverty in the most intest days of Katrina taught me more that you will ever know. It killed me to watch you realize the cold truth about priorities.

For my high school friend, Capt Kimberly Hampton, US Air Force who died in the line of duty in Fallujha in January 2005. Know that your picture hung in my civics class for a year after your death in your honor. When your story anchored a national story about women in combat I knew that you have given your life not only for our country but women's rights too.

For the Voters in the 2004 Election- A campaign that focused on Gays, Guns, and God scares me at the propaganda techniques that exist in American politics.

To the Major News Networks- Thank you for finally deciding to ask the hard questions. You redeemed yourself after falling asleep at the wheel. NPR, Frontline, The New York Times, and 60 Minutes should have been your template from Day One.

For the Teachers who have Left the Profession post NCLB Inception- The best the brightest are leaving. I have turned into that teacher I never wanted to be.

To my AP Gov students both in 2001-2003 and 2008. I hope you find your political voice and choose to be engaged. Complacency breeds evil.

To my son Ben who was born during this administration. I hope you too will love politics as much as me. The first thing we ever watched together was Meet the Press in the hospital. In your lifetime I hope you will have faith and confidence in your government.

For my husband Bill- I didn't think we would EVER be on the same page about politics. Your realization that Obama was the best choice and your decision to move away from your party helped me realize that the more we as citizens collectively meet in the middle the more likely we will repair our county at home and abroad. I appreciate your support of me and this trip.

Let history determine the fate of the Bush Presidency. I have faith that we are a bigger and better people and can move forward.

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Beautiful tribute!

This is going to be the trip of a lifetime! How many times in your life do you get to be IN the story??