Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Decisions, Decisons....

I am turning into the parent that I have often complained about after a decade of teaching. You know the one who is already planning their child's grad school experience before they are potty trained. Or the parent that sends 5 page emails at 3am stating all the modifications you should make to give their student an advantage (yes this really happened to me.) I admit that I am likely taking an interest in Ben's future education opportunities a little bit too seriously.

We want Ben to attend the WCPSS magnet school program once he enters kindergarten. After teaching at a Magnet G/T Performing Arts High school I can honestly say there are so many doors that open because of a magnet experience compared to a typical neighborhood school that it is worth the extra effort now to ensure that he is on a path to success.

After months of increasing unhappiness at our current day care I have started a search for a new school. Monday I interviewed and toured a local Montessori school. I really like the Montessori approach and I think it would be a good fit for Ben. He does well with older children as well as working alone independently.

What I didn't like about this school in particular was that the school is so new that they don't have a great number of families yet. They are not in a permanent building and frankly the whole visit seemed a bit staged for my tour. So I am moving on to other Montessori schools in the area as well as some other options for fall.

With the area preschool lottery about to begin I want to secure a place for Ben this fall before the end of February. I am certain that my efforts to find an appropriate and fitting place for the all important 2 year lead-up to preschool will not be in vein. I am planning over the summer what magnet elementary schools we want to visit this fall as well as the Magnet Fair in November. I know I won't be alone as from working this event back at Enloe days I met PREGNANT moms asking about our HIGH SCHOOL programs. THAT my friends makes me look like the worst mom on the block!

Ben told me tonight that his name is "Ben Elmo" so I think we have lots of time to work on pre-kindergarten learning.

1 comment:

Liz Jimenez said...

Isn't it crazy?! Preschool is feeling around-the-corner for me, even though it's still a year and a half away. And beyond that, I already think about where we'll move, since I don't plan to send my kids to public school in our current town.

Yes, it seems totally insane. And I don't want to get ahead of myself and start figuring out how many AP classes they'll take, 16 years from now. But then again, if there's anything I'm going to be a snob about, it's my kids' education. I'm not messing around with that.

And I was a guidance counselor in a suburban high school for two years, so I totally know what you mean about those parents. ;-)