Sunday, January 11, 2009

Chili Haystacks and Watchin' the Globes

For Week 2 of Crock Pot Love I made Chili Haystacks for dinner with the Pressley's last night. We were almost an hour late as I finally sold my 2001 Honda Accord and it took longer than expected. As always had a good time letting the boys play and sitting around their kitchen table laughing.

Tonight I am watching my favorite of the awards shows, The Golden Globes. I like them better than the Oscars or Emmys because you get TV and movies in one show. You don't get the icky categories like, "Best Animated short from Azerbaijan" or "Interpretive Dance to Best Movie Score."

I was all too happy that both Mad Men and In Treatment were up for several awards including both for Best TV Drama. Mad Men won, but I was so happy to see In Treatment up for multiple awards to keep the buzz going for this little known show. It is not back on until this fall and I can't wait to see the new characters they bring on against Gabriel Byrne. He picked up an best actor award for his awesome role. Four of the main six of this years cast were up for something so it will be good!!!

I am also SO going to see Revolutionary Road after seeing all the clips. One more, too fitting for Heath Ledger to win posthumously. He will always break my heart as the son in Monster's Ball, but he stole the show in The Dark Knight. Onto the food!

Chili Haystacks- source Fix It and Forget It Big Cookbook-2008

2 lbs browned ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion chopped
2 oz cans of tomato sauce
2 15 oz cans chili beans
1 10 oz can of enchilada sauce
1/2 tsp chili power
1 tsp garlic salt
pinch of pepper

Combine all ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on High 1 hour or low 2-3 hours
Serve with crushed corn chips, cheese, sour cream over rice or potatoes

I like corn bread with chili- Here's my Vinson style change to the basic cornbread mix, mix in one beaten egg, 1 small can of evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of corn (can use mexi-corn for zing), 1 tablespoon of honey- Make into muffins. Bake accoring to box

No comments: