Monday, February 2, 2009

Calling all econ nerds...

I subscribe to a AP Gov teachers listserve. In the last week a raging debate has emerged about how the proposed stimulus package will impact the taxpayer in regards to if supply side vs demand side economics is a better fix for the economy.

Hands down my favorite things to teach is monetary vs fiscal policy. It's complicated and let's face it really boring. So, I turn it into this big lesson about being sick and give the kids symptoms of a cold to represent key economic indicator like a runny nose= decrease in GDP and fever= uncontrollable inflation.

I come in as the Doctor and "cure" the economy by demonstrating the differing policies gov't can take. They kids typically play along and remember it come test time. (It also doesn't hurt that as a test item writer for the state test I have often been asked to write economics questions)

So today on the listserve was this great link about how other countries are approaching the economic crisis in their own countries.

As an aside I am hoping a subscription to the Economists makes it to me as a Valentine's Day gift. How unromantic would that be, but so perfect if you know me???

No comments: