Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Drop Everything... A Book and Movie Review

For some reason I can't correctly say the name of this book. I keep adding the word "dangerous" to the title. I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on audiobook over the weekend. WOW O WOW what a great book and hearing instead of reading dialogue between multiple characters made it even better. What amazes me it the way in which the author makes 9/11 it's storyline own as you learn about this eccentric 9 year old who is on a search throughout the city. I didn't know if by the end I wanted to know if he would find what he was looking for. Thankfully the author finished the book in a way that gave closure without a big "red bow" ending. It was moving, sweet, and sad all in the same final moments. Definitely check out this book.

On Monday I saw the adaptation of Revolutionary Road. Luckily the Triangle area has several Indie art house theaters and since moving here I have been very thankful to catch some great movies (Secretary, Requiem for a Dream, Traffic, Brick, Monsters Ball)that would have NEVER played in Birmingham or Easley.

I knew a little about this movie from a Grad school history class on Post War America as well of reading Feminine Mystique last summer. This movie was intense from start to finish. The acting was top notch and I still think DiCaprio should not have lost to Mickey "I love my dogs" Rourke. Titanic this is NOT! I still hate that that totally crappy movie lost to LA Confidential!

The ending was heartbreaking and even though I foresaw something devastating coming with Kate Winslet's character, I was a shocked at how the final scenes played out. I couldn't help but think what would I do and what would my life have looked like if I lived during this time period. I think I would have totally identified with the emotions of being trapped to a life of domestication that didn't fit me.

I think this is one of the reasons I love the show Mad Men, beyond my love affair with the clothing and mannerism of the time, I have to respect all the barriers that have been broken down for women in my generation. I can't imagine being forced into a life of servitude in which I was a 2nd class citizen.

WOW o WOW to two great forms of entertainment this week!

No comments: