Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Overdue to Read More- 2 quick reviews

So I didn't get to a book a week in January, but between the Inauguration and exams it was busy. I did read 2 books and am almost finished with a 3 on audiobook. So here are 2 quick reviews

Jan Book club Book- The Alchemist

Good, but not great book, liked the storytelling plotline of the book. It became a little too covey pop psychology by the end. I was a little miffed by all the reviews stating it was "one of the most moving novels of modern times"... Really, guess I missed that level of the book.

Name all the Animals- This was my runner-up to the book I picked for 2009 Book club when I host in October. I ultimately picked the Glass Castle and now that I finished Animals I'm glad I didn't pick this book for the group. The book is set in the early 80s and is the year in the life of a family after the death of their son. The story centers on how the sister copes but the parent aspect plays a pivotal role. The plot seems depressing, but it really wasn't. The writing, that uses the daughter's relationships as a search for self, leads to one hell of a plot twist and is unwraveled by the end. I would recommend this book.

I am currently trying to finish Extremely Loud and Dangerously Close on audiobook- really like this book and audiobook is the way to go with the amount of characters

I'm 75 pages into Outliers and yeah baby yeah!

No comments: