Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Own Personal Taco Party


I already wrote up my best (and worst) of 2009 and I would only add to Bad Mother by Ayelet Walman to my original list of Favorite Books 2009:

The Tortilla Curtain- T.C. Boyle
Raising Cain-Dan Kindlon
Possible Side Effects-Augusten Burroughs (Audiobook)

Honorable Mention- Outliers- Malcom Gladwell

37 books attempted to be read, 31 finished and hopes to start A Girl Named Zippy to round out the year. Given that I will have a baby next year, but also not have papers to grade, my 2010 goal is 40.

Last night we had our bookclub holiday party. It's kinda a blowout meal with gifts exchanged, all books of the the year given awards, and then selection of books for the coming year.

I was happy that I didn't take home worst book of the year as I have twice in the 6 years I have participated. I did take home most depressing. The Glass Castle beat out a novel about the Holocaust I might add.

I picked Everything Matters for my 2010 book in part of the rave reviews from friends, desire to read it (somehow putting it on my bookclub list elevates importance), and in general thought it would spark a good discussion.

BEST part of the night was gift reveal. Eileen got me again and after David Sedaris tickets a few years back, I knew this would be good. She made my OWN Taco Party Bag complete with the book, audio of the famous reading, body bags for the 2 fucking fuckers that will DIE at this party, even sparklers (although I don't think they are from KY, more like SC, any state where blowing off an appendage = fun)

Truly one of the best gifts I have ever received complete with a promise that she will read it at my eulogy, even if I'm 80.

Too bad that picking this book for the entire group would most likely get me booted.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Best present EVER.
Please give my congrats to Eileen for making the best gift basket EVER.

I gotta say I am SUPER pleased with myself for both the Custom Van and Tortilla Curtain recommendations!

enubsu said...

You kick ASS for putting my present in your blog! As soon as I picked your name I knew EXACTLY what I was going to do. (Many thanks to Bill for his help.) The only thing better would have been if I could have somehow gotten Michael Ian Black to read an excerpt as your outgoing voicemail message. I'll try harder next time. Thanks for being crazy like me! Dear baby Jesus, it's rough out there for a loon.

~E.