Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Countdown


Ben and I made the first of several planned holiday themed crafts or events. Keeping in mind that sometimes the best plan is watching TV specials in your pjs eating your weight in cookies under the lights of your tree. Yesterday we made this tear off chain to countdown to Christmas morning out of construction paper. I cut and Ben decorated the strips with Cars, dinosaurs, and Thomas stickers and sharpies. I was going for glitter and then decided against it.

We still have a gingerbread train to make this week that I hope to assemble by the weekend. No worries, it's from a kid friendly kit. I'm not that kind of crazy.

Other plans for the next 25 days include:
Making holiday placemats from old Christmas cards
Pullen Park holiday train
Live Nativity at church
Town Christmas Parade
Lights on the Neuse (River)
Making cookies with mommy
Trip to the Carolina Inn to see the 12 days of Christmas and maybe the Teddy Bear Tea
Make an ornament for each grandmothers
Driving around town to vote for the tackiest lights competition


My personal favorite from growing up in SC, no not a pork rind eating contest where you belch your fav Christmas song upon finishing. But rather reading a Christmas book under the tree with mommy and daddy each night. I have quite a collection purchased over time including my favorite, the Santa Mouse.

On the adult front Bill and I have an annual tradition of going to see the Messiah at Duke Chapel as part of our anniversary, writing up the holiday event in my Advent book, and listening to lots of Windom Hill winter solstice I-VI while in the car, at home, cooking. I want this holiday season to be my souvenir of a long, hard year that is coming to a close.

No comments: