Monday, December 21, 2009

If you don't plan for it they will come


Bad parenting award (again) for picking Ben up Friday as one of the last parents there before their 2 week break. I underestimated that good parents would drop everything and come get the kids with the hint of a snowflake. Actually I got caught up on paperwork, called a bunch of kids who are failing my class, and posted an extra credit assignment online in hopes that the failing bunch will take advantage of a gimme exta chance. Actually I doing a little CYA as I have been hauled down every single semester for % of failing students.

Getting Ben away from school requqired McDonalds bribery. Let me add that at our new McDonalds, they don't heat the area where the play space is. Let me also add that I was waited on my student who turned in a project earlier this semester in which he refers to Asians as Ching Chongs, for real. I told him in person about the extra credit.

We stayed as it was still not sleeting outside and I fell asleep at the table watching Ben play.

Thinking that there was no way my family was going to drive up on Sat I decided to go to bed early once home. Uh.... no, they called very early saying that since the roads were clear THERE they were heading up. So I cut what my mom requested I make in half, called Chick Filet and ordered a tray. Scanned the fridge and freezer and pulled a meal together.

Yeah, the food could have been better. I spot cleaned the house, and even managed to get some errands run before they arrived. One of the best things I did this year was to buy my own gifts for both my mom to give Ben as well as to us. I even wrapped them and took them to her back in October.

Ben loved his car rug, more cars, Ugly doll, pjs, and books

I loved my Target Gift Card and Cover and Bake Cookbook.

I loved even more the insane, crazy gifts my mom seems to think up. In another lifetime she should open a white elephant gift store.

Brian and I exchanged the worst gifts we could find, keeping an alive that my dad and his sister did for years, only with the SAME box of Chocolate Covered Cherries. Brian got me an Elvis CD in Spanish. I wanted a Chuck Norris poster but alas Walmart was out. Guess I will have to hit a truck stop on our trip to Atlanta later in the week for some finery for him.

I packed 2 coolers full of freezer meals for her, we had a nice brunch, they saw Ben's school, and then I went home and took a nap.

No comments: