Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Think My Book List Needs Lithium!

First off I am proud that my goal of reading 25 books in 2009 has been surpassed. For me this is a real record! I started book #36 although technically 3 books didn't make it past the 50 page rule, but who's counting. I attribute this major increase in reading to 2 things: ending cable TV, and strangely Bill's lay off has made us redefine how we spend our time/money. Our weekly library trips for Ben have resulting in our entire family reading more. I thought I would do a little check in with my fav and not so fav books to date.


Favorite Books:

The Tortilla Curtain- T.C. Boyle
Raising Cain-Dan Kindlon
Possible Side Effects-Augusten Burroughs (Audiobook)

Honorable Mention- Outliers- Malcom Gladwell

Just Couldn't Get Into Them-
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle-Barbara Kingsolver
Home Safe-Elizabeth Berg
The Corrections-Jonathan Frazen (Audiobook) MAJOR disappointment I've tried 3 times to finish it and now throwing in the towel.

Funniest Book (this is hard folks as I really loved several),But I keep coming back to My Custom Van by Micheal Ian Black

Worthy note, I re-listened to When you are Engulfed in Flames for a 3rd time this summer and as always David Sedaris you have just about running off the road laughing.

Most Disturbing Plot, would even go as far to say book I've read this year
Still Life With June- Darren Greer

I am about half-way through The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. I picked this for my book club due to getting decent reviews, thought it would lead to a good discussion. I have been voted, "worst book of the year", twice. I now try and pick something not too out there. Note to self, these ladies do not think David Sedaris is funny (except Eileen).

I must admit from looking at my 2009 personal choices I think I can classify them into 3 groups: Parenting, Satire/Humor, WTF is Wrong with These Messed up People, I'm perpetually sucked into their Drama!

Make your own conclusions. I just requested a book called Belong to Me after my friend was reading it this weekend. As she stated, it's as far away as the title suggests a love story as you can get. Just what I like!

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Jon and I went to see Invention of Lying on Sunday night and the only thing we could say about it is "It was no Hangover." THat's how I feel about any comedy book. It's no My Custom Van.

Glad you liked TOrtilla Curtain!

ANd I think THe Corrections is something to be read, not listened to, bc the writing is SO GOOD. And it must be read in winter when it's cold outside. It took me awhile to get into it and by the end, it was in my top 25 books.

Beth said...

I'm reading Tortilla Curtain right now and it's so good, but it's taking me forever to get through it! But it's not because the story isn't compelling. I do find it difficult to read, though, as in it makes me uncomfortable. But I think that's a sign of a great book. And I'm going to get My Custom Van for Ed for Christmas. What about The Help? It's hard cover right now, but it's gotten rave reviews. May be a great pick for book group! My best friend lives in Georgia and her book group agreed it was the best they've read!