Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Warning: Millions of Disappointed Tots!

I had to laugh when I walked into a store and saw one of my many dud toys of yore displayed for even more children to know the intense disappointment of the failure of their Snoopy Snow Cone machine. They would have been better off (likely had more fun) with an ice pick, box of food coloring, and a non-observant parent.

I did find some niffy gifts along the way to Atlanta including an air fresher in "bulldog scent" for my brother and this little beauty of an inspirational butter cover at the Clemson, SC Cracker Barrel in the People of Faith Corner. Seriously, do I need a Precious Moments Bible Cover while driving to my destination? Note to self, the folk in GA were just as scary and as Bill often says, get outside Atlanta and all bets are off in the gene pool. After all Deliverance starred REAL Georgians.

We got back late last night from the weekend in Atlanta primarily for a annual family reunion for Bill's kin. Nice trip and a relief for a normal family, even if it's not mine. Lots of people complementary of Bill's massive weight loss and questions about our genderless baby and the chance I might break the Evans family boy lottery. Note that drinking was expected as there was NO non-alcoholic beverages available outside of tap water. At least one of the cousins didn't bring the promised tequila. Somehow the idea of Autie Wylene (real name) eating the worm evokes some scary, scary images.

I got a chance to take a nap one day and see a movie, alone, so that was worth the trip. Bill talked me out of staying on Christmas day in SC at the hospital to spend the weekend with my mom who as of the 23rd has another broken leg. I could go on, but why? I'll leave it at the fact I didn't even tell Bill until we were at the exit for the hospital to not ruin Christmas and Santa for Ben.

Christmas wrap up is a mixed bag. Lots of fun leading up the the big day, Ben's excitement and daily musical mixes of Ben version carols were memorable. Crafts were attempted with decent success. Ben loved his garbage trucks and even the baby doll to practice holding a baby (note that I said practice). Good that we did Christmas early with my mom given the circumstances for Plan B for yesterday as a back up.

I was a little disappointed that I had nothing to open on Christmas Day or that I counted my vacuum cleaner and fire safety box as part of my Christmas. But I did get a half used bottle of lotion, more inappropriate notepads, and after the Atlanta trip a new cutting board, so the surprise factor was defiantly in tact.

After all the Christmas is not about the stuff, but rather the experience and the look on Ben's face at Santa reveal was worth the whole season.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Sounds like a really nice Christmas, even with nothing to unwrap on the big day. Like you said, the joy on little faces is more than enough. Did Ben get the Bruder garbage truck? Sorry to hear about your mom. But your account of the family reunion and Auntie Wylene cracked me up! I love your sense of humor!