Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best of the Best 2009 Awards

I am a total sucker for anything that is a year end wrap up. I caught myself watching some memorial on the news and couldn't believe I had forgotten that Micheal Jackson had died. I also used to collect the Time Magazine Year End in Photos editions back as a kid until I finally parted with the collection.

So along that thinking here's my Best of the Best 2009 list:

Best Movie- The Hangover. Seriously in love with Ed Helms since his stint on the Daily Show. I actually fell onto the floor I was laughing so hard. (Worst- Funny People, I hope I kept anyone from watching this train wreak. Not since I was forced to see Vanilla Sky did something suck SO bad)

Best Book- 2 categories Fiction and Non-Fiction-

Non-Fiction- Raising Cain. Have referenced it several times this year in raising a boy during the trying Threes. Bad Mother also HAS to get an honorable mention. I think I found my mom-soul mate in Ayelet Walman.

Fiction- Tortilla Curtain. I am on a mission to read at least 3 TC Boyle books in 2010. I still can't decide who I sided more with by book end. Great recommendation!

New Restaurant Tried- Ginza Sushi. What's not to love sushi for me, Hibachi for Bill, and a great show for Ben. Must find a reason to rent out the back room for a celebration at some point.

New Family Outing Location- Durham Science and Life Museum. Will be getting a family pass next year as this was a favorite during all four seasons. The new Dinosaur exhibit is a must for cooped up children and I MUST get pictures made in the butterfly house at some point of Ben and his sibling.

Best (Cheap) Kid friendly item- Refillable juice boxes. Since I pack Ben a lunch everyday and feel bad about the amount of disposable items I include these help my wallet and my conscious. I also must rave about my Haiku bag. I never have had purse envy but I love the functional use of this mom bag.

Best Children's Toy/Book Purchase- Book How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight and the piles of cars that seem to permeate our drawers, pants pockets, cars. Even found one in a pull up while changing poopy pants. They are so often used as time out fodder or catalyst to get going by allowing them to come along for our daily journey. Yes I am a boy mom and yes I am planning on celebrating my birthday next month by taking Ben to a monster truck rally in Raleigh.

Biggest Time Saving Mom Investment- Freeze ahead cooking. I am now trying to make something every week while TAL is on on Saturdays to freeze in triplicate. Getting the blog up in 2010 is going to happen!

Existing TV Show- Once again I got to give props to both Mad Men and In Treatment. Both went to prove that later seasons can trump the first. Both (miraculously for the latter), are back in 2010. Please stop me from asking Bill to reconnect cable.

New TV Show- Flashforward. Something Bill and I can watch together that doesn't involve goo pods or conflicted lead characters. oh wait I think you can make a arguement that the show has both. SOLD anyway!

2009 Experience- This again is split for very different reasons.

Chance in a lifetime to be in the middle of history in the making at the Inauguration

2nd Chance to be pregnant when I had convinced myself that it was not going to happen. Chosen to be 1 of 30 teachers nationally has to count somewhere and since I wrote about the inauguration to land my spot and then had to do so many of my shots while there it's some how making the list. Disney, you are a fun but distant 4th!

Bill and I were watching spring/summer movie previews last night and I have to wonder if Hot Tub Time Machine might make my 2010 list.

2 comments:

Beth said...

The Hangover is in the mail today from Netflix, waiting for us! Can hardly wait to get the kids in bed tonight, Love this idea for a wrap-up and may try it myself!

LauraC said...

I love that there were so many highlights you had to mention four!