Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Probably not going to wash it off anytime soon

I lost a very cheap but sentimental watch at the NC State Fair 3 years ago. Bill had given me this watch for some holiday back when we had tons of student loans and not much else to our names.

After loosing weight and not resizing, the watch was more like a bracelet and was a daily reminder of  how hard I had worked. I was very sad when I lost it.  Part of me was lazy in not replacing the watch.  I got used to not being time bound the year I stayed home with Ian.

Last summer as I was packing for Kenya I realized that my travel alarm had long been lost and since I wasn't taking my phone I needed some way to wake up.  If you are curious our rooms had neither a phone or clocks. We did have one working plug for the entire room of 3 women.

So enter my cheap, Target sport watch to be used as an alarm, watch for Kenya time as well as time back home.  Once home I've continued to wear this cheap watch for a couple of reasons:

1.  I set the two alarms for 6:30 am- get out of the house for work   5:00 pm last chance to leave work and still make pick up by 6 pm with expected traffic

2.  It's a daily reminder of being in Kenya, of the families, the teachers, the kids.  I didn't realize until after I got home that I had gotten orange paint on the strap from the day we were doing hand prints with the village kids. I kept the 2nd time setting to always know what time it is in Michura.  

Sunday I attended the 2013 trip interest meeting at church. I am all in for going again but the timing is horrible.  The only trip I can do during the summer the departure date is the day AFTER the last teacher workday and start to summer break.  The idea of starting an physically demanding and emotionally draining trip on an empty tank gives major pause.

In the meantime besides my paint splattered, cheap watch, our family has continued to correspond with Siprin, the 12 year old girl our family is sponsoring her educational opportunities.  We exchange letters, photos, artwork from the boys, and messages written on whiteboards.  The 410 Bridge contact that comes once a month to the village prints out the messages and takes into the village along with other supplies. We are not allowed to pass any actual items, only correspondence.  Ben has especially gotten into wanting to help, for which my heart is full.

I think about Siprin everyday. I pray for her family, her safety, my hope that today she is at school and not having to stay at home and help with her siblings. If there is anyway to see her and return to Michura, it is a top priority for 2013. My last words to her in that amazing final day rainstorm were I would see her again. 
I want to hold myself to that promise.

In the meantime my paint splattered watch and a handful of pictures are enough to maintain a connection for this very important relationship.









No comments: