Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Harvest Table 2012- An unlikely place to be thankful

Here. My 2nd home for a good 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, occasionally Sundays as well, for 10 months of the year.



I'm thankful in the continuing faltering economy when others are unemployed or underemployed, that I have have steady and reliable work. 

Work is work, but most days I like what I do, I like working with students. I love getting to teach something I am passionate about with the autonomy to teach how I want from a supportive administration. 

Last week I organized conferences with students who are failing my class.  It was a herculean task to find mutual time agreeable to all parties including asking counselors/administration.  While I didn't get to everyone, I hope to jumpstart the 2nd part of the semester for those failing.  

Having now been on the other side of these uncomfortable meetings I think I bring more of a listening ear than ever before.  One of the admin said to me later, you go the extra mile for some of our most difficult kids.  Thanks, it is always nice to feel appreciated in a career often trivialized. 

We are doing a mock trial today.  Yes, strategically planned for the often off-the-chain craziness the day before a holiday.  It's one of the favorite things I do and culminates in taking a class picture that I keep for myself. 

After what feels like a gazillion students to have passed through my classes, it a reminder that I hope they leave a little more knowledge and a bit of positive in the often awkward high school experience. 












No comments: