Monday, October 5, 2009

From 24 Eggs Comes 1 Big Fat Easter Bunny!

This has taken over a year to be able to announce and the words couldn't be sweeter, Ben is going to be a big brother!!!

We are expecting a baby somewhere around April 12, 2010.

While the cat is kinda out of the bag (more like running loose about town by now), we wanted to wait until after our 1st trimester to officially announce that IVF was a success.

If you didn't know here were the details. This is more for me to remember dates, although how could I forget. This is truly an ACC baby as we have been up and down the East coast from Boston to Florida with milestones a plenty.

July 7th (day after Bill's surgery) Started 1st IVF cycle a year after trying for a 2nd child. By January 2009 we moved to a fertility clinic given: We had unbelievable insurance coverage and my latest PCOS labs showed that waiting was not in our best interest. A very emotional spring with MANY setbacks.

Week of July 11th- Start 3 daily injections to stimulate egg production. I was at Harvard that week and while wouldn't have missed a trip of a lifetime, by end of week had to fly home early due to carrying 24 eggs.

July 20th- Egg Retrieval: 24 retrieved, 17 fertilized, 11 divided, 5 perfect embryos

July 23th- Transfer of 2 back, bittersweet that we didn't get to a day 5 transfer as we planned. Needed one more cell on only one embryo to make waiting 2 more days worth the risk to the whole lot. It doesn't get any more of a close call than agonizing over a 6 am phone call with the lab supervisor over what to do. We decided to bet the house and just do it, even at Day 3. If we had twins I know we could have handled it somehow and after the past months, we wanted a pregnancy more than anything else.

August 3rd- Positive pregnancy test in Florida. I was certain that is was going to be a big fat negative after taking a HPT that seems to give me no results. On the way home after driving in torrential rain from the lab, I saw a double rainbow stretching across the sky. HOPE! HCG was 108 and my reaction was not expected joy but uncontrollable sobbing. Even Ben told me "it's ok mommy, don't be sad." It wasn't sadness, but a year of emotion to let go of and the idea that anxiety was about to set in.

August 5th- Repeat blood test, found out HCG was rising at 317 while playing Goofy Golf. Indeed pregnant!!! Note to self, screaming and jumping up and down in the parking lot will tip others off that something is up.

August-18th First ultrasound has us very panicked when no fetal poles were visible, the Dr thinks it could be we are too early by a couple of days. She is right after a very long agonizing week we see brilliant white spots on August 24th and see a beating heart on August 31st. We are released to our OB!

Sept 16th and 28th reveal a healthy growing baby that even did a little flip at the 12 week screen. I like the new OB practice we have moved to for ongoing care. I like even better that they are supportive of our decision to use a labor doula and hope for another natural birth.

Next up finding out somewhere in mid-November if Ben will have a little brother or sister, or a brother-sister as he keeps telling me every night at bed when he kissing my tummy.

We are thankful beyond belief to our friends that have supported us over the last year of trial and tribulation. Infertility is not a path I would wish on anyone and frankly am surprised at myself for being as open as I have on this blog and to friends in real life. That in itself is a major milestone for me personally.

I would also not recommend anyone take on IVF in light other major life stress, but as I hoped as I wrote in June of what would become of the next months, we made it with a beautiful blessing to show for our determination and indomitable spirits.

Thank You for your prayers, support, and for sharing in this miracle.

4 comments:

Liz Jimenez said...

HOORAY AND CONGRATS! I've been lurking, and thinking about you and wondering how the IVF results ended up. I was hoping the silence was a good thing, and I'm so glad I was right!

Wohoo! Congratulations again, so exciting!

LauraC said...

Wait, you're pregnant?! HA HA! A million congrats and I love the roundup. GO BABY V2.0!

Beth said...

OMG OMG OMG!!!! So excited. And you don't know how many times I've wanted to ask, afraid that no news meant bad news. I'm so happy for you guys! So how have you been feeling? (Other than tired.) Can't wait to follow along. Hugs to you guys!

Sandra said...

Woo hoo! Party! Party! Come on baby, do your thing and grow, grow, grow. Congratulations! I'll be counting down the days with you.