Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Foot Loose and Cable-Free

Last night Bill took out all the boxes from our switch to a cable-free house. So it's official, there is no turning back. One of the many things we gave up during this unemployment was cable. Bill started talking about the logistics back in January, but due to hold up of my need to watch the 2nd season of In Treatment on HBO (and it was so worth it), we didn't get around to doing it until the summer.

We have gone without our 100 plus channels since August and I really haven't missed it. Bill hooked up a flat screen monitor into the bedroom, but not until last night have I actually watched any TV in the bedroom, minus the recent Ken Bunrs installment. I justified it that I could watch the season premier of Frontline and the Good Wife as I was changing out seasonal clothes and trying on my stash of maternity clothes.

With the addition of Netflix streaming to pick up kids shows for Ben and a season pass through i-tunes for The Daily Show and Colbert I am happy we made the change. I seem to go to bed a bit earlier and now spend less time being a couch potato at night.

So here's what TiVo is watching 2009-2010 at Casa Vinson (that I am watching)

Monday- How I Met Your Mother, American Experience (if it's of interest)

Tuesday- Frontline, the Good Wife (very predictable but yet I am sucked in to watch Chris Noth and Josh Charles)

Wed- Law and Order SVU -I finally gave in last season and watched a single episode of the franchise when I was couldn't fine the remote, yeah I'm hooked like the other 35.4 million Americans. So You Think You Can Dance- Somehow after watching it this summer, I again am sucked in now that auditions are done.

Thursday- Office and CSI (giving it a few more episodes before I delete it, I didn't watch since Grisson left in the spring and don't really care any more it Las Vegas is overrun with murders)

FlashForward- Bill and I are totally into this show this year even with the total suspension of disbelief in some of the plotlines. One of the few shows we watch together outside of Daily and Colbert.

Weekend- 60 Minutes (insert social Security jokes here), but I'm telling you this is one of the longest running shows I've consistently watched since I was in high school with my grandparents. Perfect to bring into class for relevancy.

Will pick up Lost in January, but we have to first finish last season.

Dropping- Cold Case, Amazing Race, likely CSI, glee (I tried, but there is just too much singing and frankly I see all the drama I want at school)

Watching online when they return- Project Runway, Obsessed (A&E), and please o please nip/tuck

I am ok picking up Mad Men after the season run as there was no justification for paying for cable for one show. Note to self, if In Treatment does come back in 2010 re-read this post and don't pick up cable again. You can live without it! Repeat about 900 million more times.

1 comment:

Beth said...

We have been cable-free for many, many years now. When TV switched to digital, we were even further cut off, as we now have one old TV with a digital converter than at any given time only gets 2 or 3 major network channels. We no longer have a TV in the bedroom, and I no longer watch any news programs. I have mixed feelings about it, but mostly, it's a good thing. I go to sleep earlier, and the kids hardly ever see us watching TV. What little "free" time I have hardly ever gets sucked into watching TV. That said, if someone offered cable to me for free, I'd jump all over it!