Thursday, October 15, 2009

4 Month Check In from Baby V, Part Deux

Baby V part 2 is looking good at month 4 check up yesterday. He/she had a nice strong heartbeat and was kicking up a storm. I have to wonder is this a BOY? Actually we find out on November 12th with a level 2 ultrasound.

After the past year we are happy at whatever the 12th shows. I also got to meet the other doctor in the practice and also really liked him. How can I not? He drives my dream car with a licence plate reading "stork 1." One of things like best about this practice is they are not treating me as high risk with all the extra testing, so far no daily blood testing, and pulled me off my PCOS meds as they didn't think I needed them. I did agree to weekly blood testing as I am at a higher risk for gestational diabetes given my family history and own history.

Earlier this week the NY Times ran a second in a series about the Cost of Infertility. Since I read the first piece I felt compelled to read the second on the sharp increase in the rise and complications associated with multiple births due to advances in infertility treatments. As hard it is to think about this side of fertility technology advances, clinics that peddle high pregnancy rates should also include readings like this or the recommend the book Everything Conceivable.

I read this book as we were deciding to do IVF and it literally changed my idea about how many embryos to put back as well as the potential cost of a multiple pregnancy and birth. Bill and I agonized when the time came to decide. We did have the discussion as to what we could live with in terms of selective reduction, how many to put back, and how long to keep going if the first round didn't work. I didn't think we could proceed with something that important without having a really uncomfortable decision a potential pregnancy would create an even more gut wrenching decision.

The emotional side to IVF pales in comparison to any of the pain and discomfort of all those shots or the procedures to retrieve/transfer. Even knowing girlfriends that have gone through this doesn't prepare you. As I said back in Feb I can't imagine going through all this an not being pregnant in the end, and for so many couples it ends in even more heartache.

I feel incredibly blessed to be carrying this sweet baby and while I can't wait to find out if Ben is going to get a brother or sister, I welcome early April more than anything to just get the chance to do it all again. So many times in the past year I believed I had my only shot.

There is nothing sweeter than getting baby kisses from Ben every night. He changes his mind daily if he wants a brother or sister, and told me the other day he wanted both. Sorry honey, that only happens in Vegas and we've already been there this year. Anyway, we bet the house and won.

3 comments:

LauraC said...

Heather you rock! Love the phrase "We bet the house and won." Nothing better than kids, nothing.

And I hope your friend Laura doesn't read this but I wouldn't wish a multiple pregnancy on anyone. There is no relaxing until you see those two babies alive and healthy, every day counts.

Beth said...

I could not be happier for you! I hope the pregnancy continues to be healthy and worry-free.

Sandra said...

Go Baby V!
I'm so happy for you that you came up a winner in the IVF game. I'm going to read that article now.
I'm thinking girl so you can use Elizabeth???
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for great news on the 12th!