Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What's For Lunch?

Thanks for all the supportive thoughts on my blog as well as FB yesterday. It means the world to us to be able to share in this happiness.

I am in need of lunch ideas. We are having issues with Ben not wanting to eat at school. We have a couple of issues 1. the school is completely nut free 2. school can refrigerate but not heat up food 3. Ben likes the same thing everyday pbj, goldfish, applesauce, and cereal bars and refuses to even try a new food.

I have gotten him back to eating waffles and yogurt in the am by making a smile out of syrup or raisins and dinner is typically the meal above with milk and maybe, just maybe if I make muffins or rice he will eat a little.

But lunch, oh lunch! From talking to his teachers I found out that Ben would rather play with the manipulative works or talk to anyone he sits with. Sound like someone else that still hasn't eaten lunch as I write this? Kids have 30 mins for lunch and with 2 teachers and 25 kids ages 3-5 they are expected to be self sufficient to open packaging, set out their cloth napkin, eat, and clear away trash.

I have been trying sunflower butter pbj(allowed), cut up fruit, yogurt, raisins, more applesauce, cheese in shapes and most days I am greeted with a full lunch box.

I know he is hungry and typically asks for the raisins or animal crackers on the way home (just before passing out from also a lack of a nap). He does eat snack at school and since it is self directed I believe that he may be filling up at snack and not ready for actual lunch.

I am desperate to get something healthy in him. Enter some online research and looking at some books for ideas. I LOVE Wendolonia's blog about using bento boxes and plan to order a few if I can't find them locally. I was amazed at how easy she makes it and what's not to love, less waste, creative way to show you care while at school, and hopefully more ideas to get Ben trying something new.

Last night I let him help me make his lunch. I suggested we make a smiley face cheese sandwich using my indispensable Pampered Chef Cut and Seal sandwich maker (makes Uncrustables without the price) as well as my reusable Rubbermaid juice box.

He genuinely seemed interested I included him in making the decision about lunch, that was until he discovered decorating the pumpkins Bill had bought for him.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

I'm going to send you a separate email on this because my reply is going to be long!

Beth Copham said...

We have a nut free home b/c one of our kids allergy so my kids just eat jelly sandwiches. Would he consider that? I know it's not so healthy but you could put it on whole grain bread and atleast he's getting the j of pbj.

Beth said...

So did he eat the lunch that he helped make? Has he tried pimento cheese sandwiches? Would he, if you made it an uncrustable? My kids eat Kashi cereal bars, which are healthier than Nutrigrain bars. I have to admit, though, they're not as tasty. What about cream cheese and jelly? (Not sure how much protein cream cheese has.)

In the end, though, how significant is it that he's not eating lunch at lunch time? If he eats something healthy on the way home, then does it matter? Do you think he's having meltdowns because he's hungry? Does the school not do an afternoon snack? And what is he eating for the a.m. snack? If it's something healthy, I wouldn't worry that he's not eating lunch. Maybe he's just on a different eating schedule. The bottom line is, when he's hungry and motivated, he'll eat. And as long as his options are healthy, when he eats doesn't really matter.

Robyn Miller said...

About bento boxes... yes they are available locally. Try the asian stores like Toyo Shokuhin over at Chatham & Maynard in Cary. Try Grand Asia Market over on Buck Jones, too. It has been a while since I actually looked for them, but I know they are around! You can also try jlist.com and http://www.from-japan-with-love.com if you want to order some things to make fun bento boxes... they have molds, cute boxes, punches, etc. Japanese things are becoming more popular, so there are plenty out there... just google "bento accessories"