Thursday, April 2, 2009

Yeah.. I Get You Star

While I was at the nail place yesterday I noticed that Oprah was on. I HATE Oprah for the most part and agree with Bill she is a media whore always looking for a shameless self promotion outlet. Today she had on celebrity weight loss stories and most of the hour was interviewing Star Jones.

I really don't like Star either, nor do I watch/like the View. But, as a fellow sister in the gastric bypass journey I felt compelled to watch and by the end I was about to scream at the TV (I didn't as the owner of the salon I'm sure would have sent me away)... "YES honey I so understand your need for privacy and why you didn't tell anyone how you lost your weight".

Did she/I sell out our authentic selves by not being totally honest as we both lost well over 100 lbs within a year time frame. I guess if you want to pass judgement, it's your call. But I would ask you to live my life as someone who was not someone who needed to loose a little weight, but someone who was morbidly obese and whose life quality was slipping away.

I could have written her script on why she didn't feel the need to be the poster child for a surgery that many people feel is an easy fix. Personally I had almost a year of pre-surgery consultations, icky testing, and evaluations to see if I could truly make a major life change. Only 4 people knew what was going pre/post surgery and I choose not to tell our families until well after.

It seemed one of those times I really didn't want or need someone all in my business. I am very grateful to my program that didn't just drop me off at the door after the surgery but required me to keep coming back, even when the last place I wanted to be was surrounded by fellow fatties.

June 2009 will mark 5 years since I had surgery and I would do it over again without question. Even with a long, hard recovery and pregnancy complications I am not the same person I was before. The last thing Star said today was, ""Do I regret not being strong enough to share everything right away? Yes," "But would I take it back? No, because I'm healthy here today. I got emotionally strong while I got physically strong."

Well said from someone who has been there.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

This is a really interesting post! I can't imagine EVER liking Star in any way, shape, or form.

And if you think Oprah is a media whore, please tell me you HATE Tyra!! She is the worst!

Unknown said...

Oprah/Tyra/Dr Phil/Star Jones - they're all in the same boat.

Back on topic though - everyone seems to think that the bypass surgery is an easy thing when it's not. It's not like you take a pill and like magic, you lose weight. There IS work involved, and I think Heather has done great.