Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Older, Wiser and Pre-Planning

Awesome day spent first when I had the energy, getting some of the house cleaned in anticipation of a cleaning service coming out today to give me an estimate. In some strange logic I thought a cleaner house = lower monthly price. I sent Ben to the yard with the dog and in a hour got most of the downstairs (minus bathrooms) cleaned.

We had plans to drive to N Raleigh to spend the day with the Pressley clan so I armed myself with eggs for an egg hunt, more eggs to make an egg tree, and makings for bunny cookies. Chrissy offered up the trampoline to offset the sugar high and it was a great day. Ben needs a brother like a fish needs water.

Last night my doula came to meet Bill and have dinner while we drafted a birth plan. My birth plan with Ben was fairly simple but I changed a couple of items and after the complications at the end with Ben's birth added an emergency c-section should I need this. I hope not as I am getting myself mentally and physically ready to power through another natural birth. We are planning to stay in control and give this sweet baby the birthday we want for him. A birth that is quiet, intimate with as little intervention as possible. After watching the Business of Being Born I am again reminded of how incredibly empowering birth can be. I go back on Thursday to the OB I really like and am going to talk over a couple of items.

One of the things I am rereading is Henci Goer's, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. I read this days before I had Ben and it really helped to have the pros/cons in the back of my head for what I wanted and didn't want. Unfortunately many items like adding pitocin when I didn't have contractions after my water broke, internal monitoring, doing that single dose of the Stadol which had horrible side effects, episiotomy, double cord prolapse all happened and due to first birth I went with what was recommended for a safe delivery. Much like Ben's birth I can plan, but all cards are on the table come time to labor and leaving the door open for options is my plan.

Tomorrow is April 1st, a month I have longed to see on my calendar for over 9 very, very long months. Just as I promised to my 2 sweet embryos back on July 23rd, I would see them again and by months end I will.

No comments: