Friday, March 19, 2010

The One Bright Shining Spot


It's been a long, hard, demoralizing week at work, alot coming to ahead this morning. I wish I could write my big post about that today, but alas at this is public space please send me some good thoughts. I am taking home a copy paper box filled to the top with NHS applications this weekend because this is what I do, what I am for 8-10 hours a day, and regardless if others don't appreciate it or even recognize it I don't do a half-ass job at work.

To parenting, I am feeling the half-ass mom moments of the week and after reading Beth's post I need to take my own advice of giving myself a big break for doing the best I can. I extend that to the piles of dishes on the counter since TUESDAY, the fact that the bathrooms need to be cleaned, the mounds of laundry to be done tonight and for literally have had Bill question what I have been feeding Ben according to the dinner dishes. Short answer, I'm trying to the best of my exhaushed self.

It is simply the best I can do to be functional and trying to get everything done. I totally agree that we are all off on sleep due to DST. Ben comes home wanting to play outside or go to the park and I feel being the last weeks of solo child to accommodate him. So on my very swollen feet we have been taking the dog to the park each day pushing bath (nonexistent the last 3 nights, sorry Bill I lied when you asked me) and bedtime over an hour later.

ON THAT NOTE... HERE THE POSITIVE!!!!!

Ben has been working on tracing letter at school. I know alot of other children have been spelling or writing their name for months but other than recognizing a few letter this week he asked me to write out his name and then he copied it! The mom in me wanted to celebrate this accomplishment for all the ways he will never, ever be my sweet baby but instead with each passing day he becomes the boy, teenager, and adult that is already there.

Every day at pick up on the way home or to the multitude of errands I have learned to ask him if he wants to talk or be quiet. Much like his mom who craves quiet after the loud insanity of school he usually opts for being quiet until we have had about 5mins in the car.

Then comes the endless barrage of questions, updates on who and who is not coming to his birthday party, and how to play Hide Out involves leaves and bark but NOT trees.

Sweetness all in a 3.75 body.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Definitely cut yourself a TON of slack. I can not imagine trying to do as much as your are doing with the baby's arrival imminent. My hats are off to you. Making it through a day without losing your shit deserves a lot of credit. And even if you do lose your shit, gathering it all together and moving on deserves a lot of credit too! As for Ben's writing, yay! I was surprised at how proud I was when William wrote his first "W." Of course, I had nothing to do with it, but that was probably a good thing. Take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back keep your eyes on the prize. Hugs!