Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What Do You Miss While Minding the Store?

Eventful Monday. As I was attempting to keep Ben from killing himself in the grocery store parking lot yesterday Laura called. I almost let it go to voicemail, but thinking I never emailed her to say that there was no way I could go to an area event in support of the diversity program I thought, just answer it since I would likely forget to text her later.

WELL.... seems like more had happened. Our friend Jen had her baby in the middle of the night and literally I thought I was going to fall down in the parking lot as it was our running bet that she would be early and we would be there the same week in April.

Congrats to our friends as they welcome their daughter, Julia Elaine

If I can make it to March 29th my last working day, better yet if I want any childcare since Ben's school is closed until Friday, March 26th- unti Tuesday, April 6th for break, I better hang tight. I am limited by state law to taking 30 working days off starting with the actual birth so I am desperately trying to take off as little unpaid time off on the front end.

I actually felt really bad Sat night and had the fleeting thought about early labor , but I chalked it up to sleeping 5 hours after working on NHS applications until after midnight and getting up with Ben on Sat am. Followed this with Sat soccer practice, a baby shower brunch, and housework galore once home and I totally slept through a horrid movie we attempted to watch in the name of couple time. Bill did take Ben to help me out over the weekend's main event of reading applications.

We also took Ben to a birthday party for a 7 year old at Monkey Joes or as Ben keeps calling it Monkey Jars. Ben as the youngeset there totally kept it honest with the big boys and attempted to do everything with them.

My fab news of the week is that as of yesterday have a brand-spankin' new teacher right out of school who has agreed to take my classes. I'm meeting with her later this week and she is shadowing me all day on Friday. Can we say, how much fun can lunch duty be, so I am hoping for a good fight to break her in to what to expect.

In an attempt to try to make this an easy transition I'm planning to have put together alot of stuff/copies/1st week plans for her for her to take and review over the break. Teaching with little support is a recipe for feeling like you have been thrown face first into a pool. I NEED her to stick it out to June. So I am adding that prep to my final week along with reading of close to 100 NHS applications and helping two National boards candidates finish up their portfolios and if there was a way to be called into more last minute stuff, of course it's this week.

So here's to what you miss while minding the store. If I can keep the store from burning down before either I can get to actually getting stuff out for the baby by my "make believe" due date of April 8th I will be doing well. And by the way a name would help too.

2 comments:

Beth C. said...

We didn't have a name for Jacob until 3 days after he was born and they said we couldn't leave the hospital without naming him. My mom was so frustrated that we couldn't decide on a name that she called him Ephrim Levi from the time we found out he was born until we named him. Both girls were named well before they arrived, boy names are just harder. Good luck with sticking it out until your due date but I don't think you'll make it if you don't slow down a little bit! Good luck with everything and congrats on your upcoming addition to your family!!!!!

HeatherV said...

Beth-

I am one of those if I'm not crazy, insane busy people then something must be wrong. As someone who mowed my own grass the weekend of a babyshower for Ben as week 36 AND moved a desk down a flight of stairs on the day he was born this is par for the course to have a sprint to the end.

I am beyond excited about getting a sub as I thought it was going to be a revolving door of ladies in support hose. 11th hour to the rescue.

Thanks for the good thoughts and we may have some closure on the name by weeks end as Bill WANTED to talk about it last night, of course because he wants the website rights... yeah he hasn't changed a bit from what you remember.