Friday, March 5, 2010

Meanwhile.... Back at the Ranch

Short post, Busy Friday, still fighting the 3rd sinus infection of 2010.

After yesterday's long diatribe about local politics I finish with this final thought. From an email response wrote to a friend who emailed me earlier to find out my reaction and what I thought was going to happen to the magnets (her sons are currently in Magnet elementaries in N. Raleigh)

The plan I have heard as the option being pushed that each "neighborhood attendance zone will have a traditional, year round, and magnet option. In theory that sounds great but with fragmentation into neighborhoods with lower home values their will be perceived notion about the desirability about the schools strong>. Case in point, a local High School has changed from a working class school on the east side of town, to a high population of Limited English Proficiency students. The district gave it "Magnet" status 5 years ago and added the IB program. It is still seen as "not a real magnet" and they have not attracted near the population imagined just offered a few more electives according to a friend I know who teaches there."

When I re-read my entry yesterday I feel that instead of just bitching about it, I need to so something productive (beyond joining a FB group). Even more important than saving the magnets and diversity policy is doing what I can to stop Project Enlightenment from losing their funding (another very real possibility. This pre-K early intervention program has reach into EVERY SCHOOL in the district. Going to investigate options.

ok... so busy weekend ahead including more work for the online class, getting a project and notes ready on the Enlightenment (yes it will involve cutting and pasting after this week's success, grilling out with friends with the nice weather.

and BEST of All 2 baby-related items:

Meeting up with the doula tomorrow while Ben is at soccer for some planning
and Baby Shower for my mini-taco with my mom friends at a local sushi restaurant.

Now if I can just kick this cold life will be all good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had no idea how extreme the new WCPSS board in their "neighborhood schools" policy. My beef was always with how often kids got moved from school to school, and how kids were stuck on school buses for 45 minutes. I just wanted the current policies managed BETTER, not obliterated. I have totally changed my opinion of the current situation and want the old board members back. I absolutely love the magnet program, and Project Enlightenment; and it really bothers me that they may be destroying these programs.