Monday, March 29, 2010

And Just Like That, I Was Gone

As of today I am officially on maternity leave! Well that is still having to go back and run NHS member breakfast in April and run Induction in May and then there are the mass of denials I don't have the heart to mail until after spring break.

BUT... until mid August or possibly January I am officially not teaching or working outside the home. This is the first time I have ever had this long of a break since my first paycheck at 13. I packed up my room on Friday and hauled it to the car. This time I didn't have to pack a room to also be moving schools so the majority of items were stored in my closet and file cabinet. Bill was much appreciative that then entire garage was not going to be taken up in boxes.

The last to be packed were my "Buck Stops Here Sign" from the Truman Presidential Library and my picture of Mr. T, a relic that has been taped to my desk since student teaching days a gift from my very first class that has long since finished college and I hope grad school for some (Amos J and your masterpiece of the Federal Court Model in Sponges that still makes my wall of fame projects)

Over the weekend I put in an insane amount of time trying to not leave a mess for my long term sub, my colleagues, or anyone else who will have contact with my kids. Caretaking all the way to the bitter end, with contractions (the braxton hicks kind not the real thing) coming every 30 mins of so.

So the real work starts, first with my to do list for the rest of the week. Notice that "HAVE BABY" is not on there. I would really, really like to get through some much needed items this week before he makes his appearance as well as rest, stock the freezer/fridge, clean, prepare for birth as well as the life changes that are about to come to our family and spend as much time with Ben as possible.


So, just like that I walked out the door to a life I have known for the past decade with little option that life exists outside of the duel work/mommy track. I want to make the best of the next 4 1/2 months and when it feels right return.

3 comments:

LauraC said...

WOO HOO!

Don't forget to put "have fun" on the to-do list.

Beth said...

Wow--and just like that, you're done. I hope that the next 4-plus months are everything you want and more. I love your to-do list divided into days. But I agree with Laura--I hope your schedule will allow for some YOU time, to read, think, veg, sleep, bathe (LOL), relax, and love. I can't believe how close you are to being a family of four.

Sandra said...

Wow Heather you're on your way - what a big step. How exciting. And I agree with Laura - have some fun!!