Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The BEST 5 Year Anniversary Gift

I was having dinner with friends the other night and someone asked me why I was eating off a bread plate. Thinking how can someone not know I had through weight loss surgery in 2004, someone else pointed out not knowing you before it is really hard to imagine you 147 lbs heavier. I reread the post I wrote last year about my surgery anniversary of June 30th, 2004 and really wouldn't add anything.

I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to change my life. Now that my husband is about to know this same rebirth I cannot tell you how much this is a 5 year prayer answered. The night I returned from Florida in April he told me he had made appointments for initial consultations. I am proud that this is his decision and he has come to on his own.

It has utterly amazed me what took me a year approval and presurgery testing took Bill 6 weeks. He is motivated in a way I have seldom seen and I hope that he will carry this with him when it become hard. Bill's recent blog post reflects a real desire for a healthier life.

I am committed to helping him make what can be a really hard diet work with food options and ongoing support. I think for the first time ever he finally understands why this decision is one of the most important of my life. For my 5th surgery anniversary I got exactly what I wanted, a healthier family.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

Beth wrote a great post this week about her life before the blog. It got me thinking about how much we in NC and in the blogworld all really know each other as moms and not all the crazy that happened before.

Like did you know this guy who was in love with me wrote a book about me and tried to get it published? Or that I almost ran off to Vegas to elope one crazy new year's eve bc I thought I would never find the right guy?

Anyway you know the Cases are here for support!

Beth said...

Wow Heather--what a huge decision for Bill to make, and a huge commitment, too. Obviously, you are an inspiration, and I know your support and love and encouragement will bring him to where you are now. What great role models for Ben. As usual, thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Bill Vinson said...

Well, I hope I can follow through on this commitment and be as successful as you have been. It's already clear to me that you've been more supportive of me than I was of you at that time. It was difficult for me to envision how much went into the surgery or the diet/lifestyle changes afterwards until I was faced with the same circumstances.

Hopefully, I will be healthier and around for you and Ben longer now and can be more supportive going forward.

Congratulations on your success!

Love,
Bill

lorraine said...

Hi Heather,

Congrats you still look amazing 5 yrs on. I finally got into my pre pregnancy clothes this week. First time since 2005. I'm learning that small portions rock and WW of course. Like you I was private about "diet" stuff when I did WW 10 yrs ago to lose 10 lbs I told noone. Now I'm boasting that WW is working and lifetime is 1lb away.