Sunday, June 28, 2009

Jackson Mania!

Is anyone else getting a little tired of Micheal Jackson coverage? I am sure you will hurl your Thriller album at me for saying this but can we move on? Tonight it was again the 1st story on network news, followed by the death of Oxy clean pitch man Billy Mays, THEN a story on Iran, finally what had been NPR's lead story of the day the military junta takeover in Honduras. Even my beloved TAL found a way to work in Jackson titles and music on their weekend show. Ira, I am very disappointed for pandering to the Entertainment Tonight crowd.

A story about how June 30th marks the end of military presence in all cities outside of Baghdad was nestled in in the last 10 minutes, just before another 5 minute tribute to Jackson. An endless war that defined one presidency and will likely define another bumped to 20 minutes in. Nice priorities.

I totally get it that he is famous and is a global superstar, but after day one this is making me want to scream. There is so much more going on in the world. It's a sorry state when the Daily Show gives the situation in Iran more screen time.

So Americans, I implore you to let this family bury their son and brother and let's all get on with our lives. If you feel nostalgic remembering when you where in the 3rd grade and the most popular kid worn a red vinyl jacket and matching glove then so be it. I personally want real news back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here here! Yes, I was sad for about 10 minutes after I heard about MJ, but let's move on. People die all the time all over the country, people who deserve tributes more than MJ, but they don't because they're not famous. In this era of 24 hour news networks, they'll grab any news they can to fill their air time. Honestly, there just isn't enough news to fill 24 hours of a news network.

Beth said...

Here here, sista! This is one of those times I'm glad that I don't pay quite as much attention to the news as I used to!