Thursday, June 18, 2009

Overdue to Read More-Summer Edition

I kinda lied on my post yesterday about not making a list of items to do this summer non family related. With about 8 weeks of free time I would be nuts if I didn't do a few personal "to do" items before heading back to school.

On the list every summer is to catch up reading. During the school year as much as I try to read before going to bed, Bill usually finds me asleep with the book over my face on the same page that I started. I have a really bad summer habit of watching bad, bad TV instead of sitting on my porch at night on my chaise lounge under the fan with drink in hand. Once I do I question why LA LAw reruns "seemed" so much more important.

I have emailed a couple of friends that are voracious readers and sometimes share similar tastes for some recommendations. I am also including any books that made it on my 2009 master list that has yet to be read. So for my summer personal to do list I hope to finish 8 books. In no particular order up for reading:


The Tortilla Curtain- Started this last night and had a hard time putting down
HomeSafe
Perfectly Irrational
The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008- So I didn't get to make this latest Krugman part of my summer AP assignment, but I really want to read it!
Stumbling on Happiness
The Black Swan
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Hocus Pocus
- My 11th grade English teacher would smile after I did a whole project on Vonnegut for class.
Night (Bookclub selection but am going to reread)
Lovely Bones (also bookclub and I still haven't read this book, Am I the only one)
Music For Torching
Let your Life Speak, Listening for the Voice of Vocation
PreSchool Wise
Mommy Guilt
Bad Mother
(Super excited about this this new book and will likely be the only one I buy after hearing the author Ayelet Walman on Fresh Air)

Notice that the Unauthorized Biography of LA LAW did not make it on the list. Does a book even exist? Please don't tell me, I "might" show interest :-)

Also notice there is not a "historical" social studies teacher book among the lot. I think Team of Rivals did me in for 2009 after an almost 20 hour audiobook. I do have at least 2 books for my summer session at Harvard on the Women's rights movement but annotation does not equal summer reading fun.

2 comments:

Beth Copham said...

I have to say my late night bad, bad tv addiction is Sex and the City and I am embarrassed to say this. LA Law was one of my favs but they don't show it around here or I would certainly be watching that instead. Hope all is well with you. I'm hoping you have a restful and reproductive summer:). Love, Beth

Beth said...

I think I'm going to get Tortilla Curtain next. I picked Animal, Vegetable, Miracle back up last night, but I'm not really into it. Not because the message isn't good, but it's too preachy for me. I want more of the nitty gritty on how they grew their own food and what they got sick of and what they craved and what were the really hard parts, what were the sacrifices. I know it's a worthy effort, and a noble cause. Anyway, I haven't read Lonely Bones, either--the whole premise seems way too depressing to me. I'll be looking into some of your other choices, though!