Friday, May 28, 2010

Seriously.. It's Like Friday Already?

Does having the 2nd kid somehow suck time away in some new way that the solo child parenting experience doesn't? Stupid question, but Dude where's my week? It seems like yesterday that we were watching Lost.

Well meanwhile back at the ranch it has been kinda busy:

1. Final week of Preschool for Ben. Camp Mommy (an unfun camp with no-sing along) will start Monday until Y daycamp on the 14th. Everyday will not be fabulous and fun, but some plans up my sleeve including a weekend beach trip, trip to the zoo, farmers market, couple of play dates, and can watching mommy feed and diaper count as an activity if glitter is involved.

2. Interviewed for a job I didn't think I would likely take due to hours and in state travel. But they offered it and I hope that at some point it's an option. I'm always keeping choices on the table for my one, five, and ten year goals on the dashboard.

3. Working furiously on setting up my online class to start the 14th. Was told to expect around 100 hours of training and prepping as a 1st timer. I wish that was a mistype but alas I am working about 5 hours a day to pull off learning how to do this. I'm learning that not a lot translated from being a Face to Face teacher other than knowing the content. Before you say, ahh Heather did you just write about not shortchanging your kids lives for a career recently?

Teaching online, once established, will give me more time at home, a flexible schedule, and the ability to continue to do something I like without the things about it I am not fond of (6:45 start time, lunch duty, 5 zillion meetings, double daycare expense). Again, it's about putting options on the table and summer is the trial run for the change this fall working from home full time.

4. Sick dog resulting in midnight emergency visit to the local pet hospital and a very expensive bill. Monitoring for 24 hours with no confirmed reason for reoccurring grand mal seizures. In addition the medicine prescribed that normally makes dogs uber sleepy, uh...not here. Instead we have a manic, crazed dog that broke her leash and wound up 2 streets away yesterday with Ben, Mom, and baby in tow running after her. This after peeing and pooping multiple times on the floor. Think she could wear a size 1 diaper?

5. Have hit a real patch of anxiety lately. Thinking it may be time to be the adult in the room and ask for the blue, red, whatever pill. Ten years in and haven't succumbed to the med route, but questioning my quality of life is smacking me in the face. Thinking long and hard on this decision as I don't want this to be a way of life and hoping it's just post partum fun.

6. Plans to hit the gym this weekend as I haven't been since early week (again online course may move this goal to am when Ian is sleeping longer). I HAVE to make time for this whenever I can get it in. 6 am sucks, but if I'm committed, then I have to schedule it as part of the day.

7. Make that keep working to help Ian try to get on some type of sleeping longer schedule. Not to self, maybe the dogs medication would help. Just kidding of course.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all. Plans for pool time with the family, more online work, friends to grill out with on Monday,and sleeping... me that is.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

On the anxiety front, it could be post partum. I had some serious depression issues, like uncontrollable crying jags, post partum. I really did not want to get out of bed and dealing with crying babies.

BUT it was when we were doing the whole crazy trying to breastfeed the boys and it was not working and I was getting like 3 hours of sleep a day. I think I know someone else getting only 3 hours of sleep a day because they might be trying to do too much :) Seriously lack of sleep can really eff up your brain!

Checking in with someone might be good and maybe all of us can also make you take a break and just stop. I'm not saying drive yourself crazy with staying home, but maybe the long weekend will help you get some rest.

Having two kids is always busy. I somehow thought it would get less busy as they got older but it's just always insane.

Beth said...

Wow--I get tired just reading your posts. Yes--time does move to double warp speed with child number 2. It's disconcerting. Your plans with Ben sound awesome. Thank goodness daycare doesn't have summer vacation. William in Seth would be in trouble. As for your class, I think it's awesome that you're putting the effort into something new with an eye toward the future. I'm sure that you are figuring out how to strike the right balance. Your children do not need your undivided attention every single minute of the day, and if you gave it to them, they would not be better off for it. As for the anxiety, I say get help if you think you need it. I don't think you should worry about a lifetime of better living through chemistry, but just get through the right-now and worry about the rest later. And good luck with the gym--I bet that working out regularly would help with the whole anxiety/stress issues. But you have a LOT on your plate, so of course you're anxious. New baby, new job possibilities and decisions to be made, stay-home time with 4 year old, and did I mention NEW baby?

Okay--that was super long-winded, but just want you to know I'm thinking of you and as always, you impress the hell out of me.

ElizabethS said...

Relax...you're doing a great job Mommy. :) About going to the gym, when you can find time, you go. I'm not fond of getting up at 5:00am to get on the treadmill every morning but at 6:00am I'm usually glad I did. Remember, you aren't very far postpartem. I know you are anxious and ready to be done with the baby weight and get the surgery, but don't push it too fast. No sleep makes me CRAZY.

If I can help, drop the kids with me this weekend and catch some Heather time. You can even sleep in our room while the kids stay with me (we won't tell Ben ;-) )You know K would be happy to have Ben over and she's totally into babies right now. :) Same goes for the summer. I'm going to some training the first week now but I'm done after that. Just let me know.

Jen Murphy said...

Heather, are we going to have to stage sn intervention so that you will slow down?! Please ask us for help if you need. You are always there for other people. We are here for you too!