Monday, May 24, 2010

Going Back to the Island One Last Time! (Spolier Alert)


I can't help myself not to write about LOST finale last night. Plus I am really putting off working on the online class, so I am giving myself time to write and then back to work until Ian is up again.

Series Finales should live by one cardinal rule.... Give your viewers what they WANT. We invest in watching your show week after week so don't take us off on some crazy, it was all a dream (the St Elsewhere finale approach) ending leaving us shortchanged. Seinfeld followed this rule beautifully as they paraded in all the ridiculous characters that made the show great in an over the top final episode that proved it really was the show about nothing.

ER which I watched until the last couple of seasons and then came back for the finale was HORRIBLE, contrived, and a shell of a good show by the finale. Should have ended it when Doug reunited with Carol. I want back that hour of my life. Same thoughts for my beloved West Wing. You overstayed the party.

SATC- Great final episode but your final season SUCKED.

My personal fav TV show (even after LOST) still remains Six Feet Under. I can watch that final 10 mins character montage still sob. I bow at Alan Ball's temple for making a show so good for all of it's seasons, making me care more about the Fisher family than mentally healthy, never jumping the shark, and to wrap it up exactly the way I wanted.

Sopranos- If I ever meet creator David Chase, I going to punch him. IT SUCKED! And don't even get me started on the finale of nip/suck.

My hopes were high with LOST. I can't remember why we decided to take a change on the Pilot as for the record we really don't watch lots of network shows, even fewer Pilots. But we knew that JJ Abrams of ALIAS fame was involved. Why wouldn't be sucked in after the plane crash on the beach? I re watched the Pilot at the gym Sat night and damn if I wasn't picking up on things I totally missed! MUST re watch this series from the start. SO GOOD!

SO here are my final episode thoughts-

I liked but was not blown away by the final scene. Ending with everyone had died at some point either on or off the island and were meeting back was the same reunion theme that almost every season ended. Bring in the soring music and the slow motion camera with everyone hugging each other and it was kinda old hat. Anti-climatic for what they had built up!

Bill and I both thought as the finale was progressing that Jack was not going to make it off the island and that in turn the ending scene was going to involve his death. Bill called it with the location in the bamboo. Ah.. Jack, what a quintessential good guy. I forgive Matthew Fox for Party of Five uber sappiness level with his portrayal of Jack Shepard.

While a nice touch reuniting Jack with Christian was a little red bow for me. But since personal conflict was a major theme, why not let Jack die in peace with his father's approval.

Why was Desmond such a major player in the final few episodes, I would have though Sayid? I thought they killed him off with little fanfair for such a key character. There was more focus on Jin and Sun not making it off the sub, but what about a character that literally was written to break stereotype in our xenophobic culture. Seemed like a missed chance to send him out with more than a bang, literally.

Loved Hugo's Sawyers one liners and any last chances to say "son of a bitch" to Hurley's DUDE once more. Add to it more random social references than Chuck Klosterman can publish. And DAMN if they didn't name a major character Locke for my benefit to teach social contract theory for 6 years in Civics.

I could write more, but my timer is up.

What did I LOVE in the Finale??? The main characters realization of their life on the island. To me this was was better than the actual reunion at the end. For all the cool special effects, plot twists galore, introduction of new characters, and superior writing that connected a show in a unique and ground breaking way, none of these reasons were what kept me watching for 6 seasons.

It was in the end was the relationships between the characters. Not since SFU have I felt personally invested in specific characters and wanted to watch just to know how individual stories would play out. I loved that they started and ended with why people were on this fated plane and played it out to the end.

LOST didn't disappoint by any means and I'm feeling a little let down this morning knowing it's all over.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Seriously, ending the show with Jack looking up, same as starting the show with Jack looking up = GENIUS

Rewatching the seasons gave me MORE appreciation for how well done the show was.

Would we be happy with any ending? Probably not! But I love that the message is all we take with us is the relationships we had with people while we were here.

Beth said...

I like the idea of the ending and I loved all the moments of realization. But I hate that it doesn't give much significance to all the cool, crazy, symbolic stuff that happened on the island. Plus, I don't really get why they had to create a way to get together in the afterlife. The story lines of each character don't really make sense to me, other than a way for LindeCuze to create an interesting season that made us all wonder what the heck was going on. And regardless of all that, why would they all want to enter that light if they can just stay in Sideways World and be together? Things were going pretty well for most of them, so if they can stay, as Ben chose to do, why wouldn't they? And why would Charlotte and Daniel be in Sideways World? It doesn't really seem like Daniel did a whole lot to help Desmond realize he was dead. I don't know--the whole idea is just too much for me. And I didn't like that they didn't have an kind of epilogue for what happened to the Ajira survivors after they left the island. I know I can imagine that everything was great, but I needed/wanted a little more. So that's my review. I wasn't blown away, but that's not to say I didn't appreciate how it ended--with the idea of community and love and redemption. That's all good stuff, so I guess all was not lost. Forgive the pun.