Thursday, May 6, 2010

The First Rule of Fight Club....

Oh wait, I meant to say "book club" is that if you don't read the book, don't go for the snacks. I am ashamed to say that neither book intended got read for the month of April. I DO get a pass that I had already read the neighborhood book, East of Eden in high school. I only stayed last week for an hour to visit and for the yummy food that I didn't have to cook.

On the other book, Father Father Melancholy's Daughter, I bailed after a good 5 attempts to get past the first 50/60 pages. I even took it to the hospital.. yeah... bad idea. although if I hadn't had to do a stack of NHS denial letters I had put off then I would have had time to read something.

So for the month of May I have already gotten both books, started the first chapter on Drop City last night and I think this is going to rock! I love dust jacket write ups as well as the artwork on the cover. I often wonder if the cover is going to be anything related to the book or it was some hairbrained idea of the editor. Can we say TC Boyle looks like an escaped member of the HBO show Carnival and the cover with a circle of naked people, yeah I'm interested in this plot.

The later book is The Shack. I remember this was the IT book a few years back. Is it religious? Thinking it is as everyone I remember talking about it did so in the context of a bible study. Going to give it a fair shake. After Drop City I might need something to redeem myself.

Onto to some freeze ahead cooking and picking up the last of mothers day stuff for the trip tomorrow. Going all out this year.

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Having already read Drop City, I can tell you it will be a million times better than FMD. I got it at the library to re-read as it's been so many years since I read it first. I read it when it came out in hardback, that is what a TC Boyle fan I am!