Friday, May 21, 2010

And I Was So Hoping For A Hemp Bag


Ben's school year ends with a half day next Friday. I chaperoned the field trip to the strawberry patch yesterday and loved watching him pick and more often stomp berries with all the classmates I have been hearing about all year. I feel like I personally know the lives of Kian, Noah, Demir, Smirti, and Luka through his eyes. When we moved schools last year I really struggled as I sat in a parade of little chairs attempting to find the right match for what I felt was an all too important 3-4 year old timespan. Since I missed most of the events for parents due to work during the school year, it's been good to get to participate these last weeks.

I recently read that have three consecutive years of a good teacher can go more to help a child succeed than most any other measurable indicator. I have to believe that good teachers can truly make a difference regardless of when you have them. Ben's lead teacher Rebecca is the old school teacher that you know will love your child to pieces but also bring it when needed. We saw her at Target earlier in the week and Ben was over the moon to see her outside school.

Although we are changing schools (or at least that is the plan) since I will need infant care I would have to really think that if my plans change would stay for another year based alone on the motivation and impact she has had on him? In Montessori children stay multiple years in the same classroom and teacher and I think in the final year before Kindergarten she would again work her magic.

I was SO hoping that the hippy school would make hemp bags for mothers day. I did get a cookbook of fav foods they have cooked at school complete with Ben drawn pics and his face in a giant chef's hat on the cover. Instead I got so much more in the working relationship with someone who has really made a difference to him during a really trying 3 year old year. I give Rebecca props for being the straw in the potty training saga for nothing else.

Ben asked me today why his school was ending and that he is going to miss his friends (and eating ice cream after the monthly walks to the library). Rebecca told me today about a great new park in Cary that they had done a field trip to back in March. So to reward listening and good behavior at pick up we went by after school. We will be back, I love, love, love the design of the playground and have to wonder where was this fun when we were kids??

Busy weekend ahead and Bill is at a conference for most of it. But plans to do a family afternoon at the pool on Sunday. As well as make a 2nd batch of these strawberry muffins.

No comments: