Saturday, January 23, 2010

You Have to See it to Believe It!

Back in the summer of 2007 I asked my friends to stage an intervention for me if I EVER uttered the words, "I'm going again to go to the Kids Exchange Sale ." As I can see all it took was the desire to rid my house of a Batman Toddler Bed and Kiddie Table/chairs, and my childhood dollhouse to once again not heed their advice that the time to money earned ratio = not worth it. Monday was a utter fiasco first with the whole hospital thing and I should have just called it, but the allure to shop first and also rid my house was strong so I forged ahead.

Back during summer '07 after a month of baggin' and taggin' I made about $400 and rid ourselves of the 33 oneies in the drawers along with any and all baby stuff we didn't want to keep for a second. So this year knowing we are expecting a baby, Ben's birthday falls 2 months later, and some of the baby items I have lent out cannot be returned due to damage or lost status, I hit the sale.

Background- Kids Exchange bills themselves to have 25,000 consigners since all it takes is putting in 10 items to sell. People show up in trucks, the delivery kind on unloading day. It is held at our local fairgrounds in a building that also houses the cow and goats during the annual fair. It reeks of animal waste mixed the the raw adrenline of mothers running to an arena of strollers. TRUE, I witnessed it!

If you consign you get to shop the day before the sale opens to the public and avoid hours in the check out line. If you are an masochist then you can volunteer to sort items donated and not sold for charity and shop 6 hours earlier. I am not that crazy as having to sort hundreds of potties is not worth being first in line. Nor is breaking up fights not seen since a wedding dress sale at Filene's Basement over said potties. Literally there are wall, yes walls of chicken wire to hang shoes across the length of building.

I offered my extra pass to my friend who has a 5 month old daughter (who by the way was the most perfect baby the entire sale) I told her to expect a level of baby loot never seen before and that I HAD to get a shot of her face upon entering. It worked out well given the weather was 40 and cold rain to tag team shopping and then loading. I also snagged a pass for Ben's teacher also expecting a spring baby. I figured anyone who deals with a poopy Ben daily, that's the least I could do for her.

So what did I get?

Replacement Bottle Warmer, dishwasher baskets/drying racks
Duplo Leggos
2 pieces of artwork/lamps for Ben's new Transportation themed room
3 HotWheels Trick Tracks that can be linked to make a mega track (future birthday)
Play Outside gas pump
Sit and Spin (birthday)
Tonka Giant Tow truck (birthday)
Cars Matching game and Hungry Hippos
Baby/Toddler swim stuff
20 jars of unopened Playdough for a 1.00 (Description on tag... Drowning in Playdough)
Giant Water Guns (bought them out of super soakers and water launchers)

My friend walked away with furniture galore at pennies on the dollar in great condition.

So was it worth it? Since we didn't even hit (or have room to lug any more to checkout) I am going back on half price day for clothes. At this point Ben may wear a stained Spiderman t-shirt all summer if not.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Hi Heather. I've been way too out of touch these past weeks but want you to know I have been and am thinking about you and keeping everything crossed that all stays well!!

Sandra said...

Hi Heather. I've been way too out of touch these past weeks but want you to know I have been and am thinking about you and keeping everything crossed that all stays well!!