Thursday, January 14, 2010

Slopin' Sugar

If you are not from the South, this means to gush over someone with praise and complements often because to really express how you feel would entail slapping them like Snooki on Jersey Shore. I had really hoped that I would have passed the 1 hour glucose test last week, but I had a sinking feeling that it likely wasn't happening.

Not that big of a deal as it was borderline and I am set to retest next week as my Big ol' 35th Birthday present! But here's the part that makes me want to scream. Back with my pregnancy with Ben my then OB practice refused to do the test as I was at that point I was only over a year out from surgery and would have likely puked it up as soon as I drank the liquid.

Being the first pregnancy of course I did as told and starting at week 20 blood tested 3 x day and stayed on a low sugar diet as well as a insulin sensitizing medication that I had been on since 2001. This medication is known to help PCOS patients avoid gestational diabetes and miscarriage in the 1st Trimester and I insisted on staying on it 1st time. I got bumped to the high risk caseload and as a result had a couple of extra NSTs and had the great joy of continuously blood testing as I was laboring Ben. Seriously, after an internal monitor, induction, natural birth, pricking my finger every hour was nothing in the pain dept. Frankly I thought it was overkill, but then again I did as told.

In comes my current, different OB practice who from the start thought that the previous protocol was overkill and pulled me off the meds at Week 12. I actually had 2 extra weeks squirreled away and took them too. When things looked good at Week 20, no extra testing ordered, and in fact they said I shouldn't tempt fate until you KNOW for sure that you are having glucose issues.

This time I did opt for the test, downing the super nasty, flat Orange-Crushy drink in the carpool line taking Ben to school. Probably not the best idea, but I only had limited time to get in test and get back to school. In addition to the borderline test I am back on 2 x iron supplements. Again, all this is fine and even if I have to blood test again I know the ropes and the payoff is worth it.

But still....if I had eaten anything at all in the 8 hours prior I would blow it off to everything will be fine with the longer test. But who I am kidding with the amount of diabetes in my family, a borderline repeat would look like a dream!

No comments: