Friday, September 25, 2009

Phone Photo Friday- The Preschool Edition


Title: The better side of age 3.33. Why do I think "chain gang" when I walked into my friend's house and saw the boys in this state of play.

Simply put parenting this age is hard, frustrating, exhausting, and would try the patience of Job. The gender difference it also becoming more evident in that when Ben plays with girls I notice a much more calm, peaceful play date. Given that last weekend I was horrified that it was MY son who was leading the charge to play as if he was a crazed animal on a free pass from the zoo. I think I am just going to have to resign myself that raising a boy involves lots of running around for no reason and screaming, "You're my prisoner!" to the trees.

It feels like the past couple of weeks I have been one step forward and two steps back. I am definitely in a parenting funk and looking for the emergency exit. Ben is not napping at school. Knowing the set up of his class of 3-5 year olds given from 1-2pm to lay down, fall asleep, and then be up at 2 pm I'm not surprised. Ben's entire life he has needed at least 30 mins to settle down/talk/sing himself to sleep.

Add to this that our "no thank you bite" plan to try new foods is failing miserably. Most nights I am giving in to the pbj, goldfish, applesauce trifecta because I simply too tired to keep pushing him to try to eat something new.

Ben's school is all nut free, so needless to say my attempts at cheese sticks and other protein sources is ALSO going to pot. At least one day his lunch box was completely full when I picked him up. When I asked his teacher she commented that he often is so hyped up at lunch that getting him to eat is a struggle. If we are going anywhere after school I am now packing a super snack to avoid meltdown in the store.

And oh yes, the pooping in the underwear continues. My friend reminded me that it has almost been a year since we when undies/poopy undies only. I think I blocked out that I should have bought stock in Borax. Seriously, anything with the word "mule" on the box can get out anything.

Yesterday he was both poopy and wet on the playground. I was almost ready to we myself when I didn't see the auspicious plastic bag containing that day's undies tied to his lunchbox. As I approached I was thinking, Goodberrys! as both Ben and Mommy reward. Oh no, HELL NO when I approach he is yelling from across the playground. Mommy I pooped!

Breathe...this too shall pass and one day you will miss more than anything the running commentary about firetrucks vs. monsters in his sweet voice.

At least we have a babysitter for the 1st time since before the layoff to have dinner with our friends and their 6 week old beautiful daughter. Get my baby love on, you bet.

Come home and wish like anything for one day of that with Ben for old times sake, even more.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Man--it seems like we are ALL in a 3-year-olds-make-us-crazy funk. We are having the same mealtime struggles. Not only is it what William will eat, but it's the matter of getting him to actually sit down and eat. Fortunately, he eats well at school, and they provide the meals, so I don't have to worry about that. But at home, eating is just so secondary to everything else in his life. And I struggle between fighting that battle, and letting it go. *Sigh* Sorry the pooping corner has not been turned. Don't lose hope. And know that you are not alone! Hugs!

LauraC said...

Sorry for the bleak reminder but believe me, we are in your poopy hell right now.

A little funny story to make you understand we are in the same boat here, it's just that with twins we always have SOMEONE in a bad phase. ha!

Yesterday Jon picked Alex up at school and he pooped while Jon was standing there. Then the boys came home and were fighting SO BAD and SO MUCH and there was so much crying and screaming and arguing and tattling that I was seriously going to lose my shit. No matter what we did, they were up in each other's business (even TV!).

I told them both to get a toy and go in their bedrooms for some alone time. They were both so happy and Jon and I were like LAURA IS A GENIUS! Best fucking idea ever! We checked on them both after 10 minutes and they WANTED to stay in their rooms to get some peace. We went in 5 minutes later and Alex had pooped in his underwear again AND peed all over his bed.

GENIUS!