Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Biscuits So Good You Will Slap yo' Momma!


Over the weekend my friend Katie and I went the the 2nd installment of Southern Biscuits, an encore cooking class to one we did 2 years ago that taught the fine art of the dropped vs rolled biscuit. Both classes were taught at foodies mecca and Chapel Hill establishment, A Southern Season. I seriously went here once a week in grad school just to eat and troll the store.

Saturdays class was not a disappointment! On the menu to make and eat: Pimento cheese biscuits, sweet potato biscuits, chicken and dumplings, pulled cider-glazed pork with pineapple chutney, peach cobbler, and buttermilk ice cream.

Of these quite yummy recipes I feel necessary to post the pimento cheese biscuit recipe.I am scrapping my entire planned menu to host October book club just to make these biscuits with thinly sliced country ham. I also think I am going to make the sweet potato biscuits and pulled pork with a Cooks Illustrated Carrot Cake to finish. I need a veggie or salad option for this harvest meal, ideas?

Simply put, these biscuits are SO good you will Slap Your Momma and then ask for more!

Pimento Cheese Biscuits- Southern Season (Marilyn Markel)

2 cups all- purpose four
2 tsp white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cream of tartar
1/2 shortening (used chilled Crisco sticks)
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (they demo with a sharp white Cheddar)
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (I would add less as I'm not a pepper fan)
2 TBS pimentos (small jar)
2/3 whole milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the shortening. Add the cheese, green pepper, and pimento with a fork. Stir in milk and mix well.

Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead 5 times, scraping well after each time and leveling out the dough into a 1/2 inch. Roll out and cut with a small biscuit cutter. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake 15 mins and brush with melted butter as soon as removed. Eat until you beg for mercy or the pan runs out.

3 comments:

LauraC said...

Bring the sweet potato biscuit recipe! I'd love it!

Beth said...

LOL Heather. I'm going to make these soon! The first cooking class that I plan to take will be a knife skills class. Sur La Table offers them, but I've never been able to work it out. Maybe that will be a 2010 resolution!

Lara said...

I recently took the first biscuit class myself, but am unable to make the second one, and I'm dying for the sweet potato biscuit recipe. Would you mind posting it? Thanks, Lara Chase