Friday, September 11, 2009

Phone Friday- Total Randomness

Earlier in the week I made a berry cobbler using the following cookbook. I have collected cookbooks for about 15 years and have quite a collection. One of my well- stained favorites is from my grandmother Hendricks' church in Easley, SC. When I got married, all the Hendricks women threw a family recipe shower and I got 3 copies of this cookbook. Really and truly it has some AWESOME food. After all I don't know any self respecting lady in that church that would show up at a church potluck and serve something out of a box.

In particular my fav recipe is for Crusty Cream Cheese Pound Cake by my great aunt Hope. It literally has a pound each of butter, flour, eggs, and sugar. There is also a section dedicated to "in memory of recipes". Most are from the same woman who dedicated a recipe to everyone in the church cemetery. I think she even dedicated her famous frosted pickle recipe to someone who was not even dead yet!

My other picture is of my back wall in my classroom. After watching Obama's health care speech, I could not be more hopeful that something MIGHT change. Most of my "shrine" of pictures and newspaper headlines came from the Inauguration trip. I still can't believe that I was there, in person standing in that moment of history. It was definitely a highlight of 2009, if not to say my entire life. Watching the speech reminded me how much I miss the excitement of last year's election and most of all working with my AP kids on the campaigns. I had 100% of my AP kids pass and get credit on the national exam. I have to think some of them like politics as much as I do!

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Please share frosted pickle recipe!
(and that crusty cream cheese pound cake = SO GOOD!!!)