Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Quick... think of a 6 letter word that rhymes with creepy!

Did you guess S-L-E-E-P-Y??? Then you are faster than me after pulling a 3:30am to 10:30 day without stopping yesterday. You might ask, are you trying to get some lame masochistic award for fewest hours slept while still trying to be a functional adult? It seems that stress = interrupted sleep for the past week as I am waking up multiple times every night. Even in Vegas I was up at all times of the night and it wasn't to gamble!

Yesterday's marathon day started with getting up with Ben crying in the night. It continued as a day in which I didn't just put our fires, but large out of control the house is burning down situations all day. I would list them all, but I am frankly way to tired. Needless to say my life mantra of "I would rather do it my way, 'cause I know it will be just get done, somehow" was reinforced over and over all day.

The sad thing is it continued once I got home and instead of being grateful that at least 1/2 of the yard was mowed I lost it that I now had to finish something else too. It looked ever worse than the prior "we need a goat" look with the mower parked in the yard like Custer's Last Stand of lawnmowers. When both your spouse and your NHS president watch you loose it over something trivial somethings gotta give.

Yesterday it was sleep, as I am already exhausted from little sleep from the weekend plus 12 hours of driving. I totally get why my brother has been popping caffeine pills like candy and living in the hospital coffee shop between shifts. If I wasn't trying to get my body in good pre-ivf condition I too would be praying to the caffeine gods too!

I am hoping today will be a better day. After all, today I am spending my lunch trying to fix getting our NHS induction stuff straightened out by driving over to the vendor themselves. Then, spending whatever time is left trying to get my IVF meds ordered (this is the definition of paperwork hoops) as well coordinating shipping part of the meds to a clinic in Cambridge, MA for a summer institute that I am attending during my 107 day of shots. I am confident that I will achieve something more than sheer frustration today.

Send me sleep, glorious sleep where no one can find, pester me, or make me fix a gigantic mess for at least 24 hours.. deal?

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Hey let me know if you want me to burn you a copy of our relaxation cd. Jon had serious anxiety when I was pregnant, waking up multiple times every night once we found out we were having twins. I had him try this as a last resort (even sleeping pills did not work) and it is magic! I put it on the ipod and her voice is so soothing I always go to sleep after 5-10 minutes (same with Jon).

Anyway it became even more important when I had so many hospital stints for pre-term labor. The nurses would come all night to check on me and I would be so nervous about everything that I could barely sleep. May as well try anything as I'm sure your stress will continue!

ElizabethS said...

If I see some next time I'm at walmart, I'll pick up enough for both of us! (sleep, that is) :)