Thursday, September 18, 2008

swan song

This should be no big suprise to anyone who knows me but this is likely the end of the road for teaching for me. I will save the long version for a later post but I am treating this year and my AP Gov class in particular as my swan song in teaching. I am trying to make it the class that I thought teaching would be about when I entered this profession a decade ago, the one that I work, prepare endless number of hours for, and frankly trade a piece of myself everyday to teach.

With that said, an email exchange between friends earlier today about the election made me think about what I hope my kids are getting from me. In her email she detailed feeling like in a particular class she always felt on the defensive as the teacher didn't check her bias at the door.

I do truly hope that I have done my students (1000+ now) right and from my classes they have learned to think for themselves (my opinion isn't relevant is a favorite statement I make), understand why their voice matters in our Government, and most of all that on the most basic level I welcomed them everyday with what I had to give them.

This last statement applies especially to the many sections of freshmen I have taught for whom making class a welcoming respite from the drama of high school seems to be more important than the content being taught.

I love what I do but I need a break from the bureaucracy that comes with it. So in that vein, I am giving this year what I have left in hopes that my original intentions will find an audience.

2 comments:

ElizabethS said...

You are an amazing teacher for what you gi9ve everyday to your students. Perhaps they noticed enough to appreciate it, perhaps not. As your friend who knows how much of you is in the classroom everyday, and as a parent who will one day have kids in public school classrooms, I thank you. I hope that, in the future you are able to take a break and then return to teaching renewed, refreshed and appreciated for your efforts or find a new direction for your passion and expertise that brings you happiness.

HeatherV said...

Thanks sweetie, I know you get the daily ins and outs being in this profession too. I don't think that most people outside it realize how much of your personal identity is tied up in the profession. or at least for me it is.