Friday, August 8, 2008

Lipstick on a Pig

It has been a really sucky day so take this entry with a grain of salt. We are in SC for the weekend before we head home (wish I were there now) on Sunday. I have been watching the pageantry of the opening Olympics with my mom.

My question is among all the beautiful staged productions, where was the homage to Tienanmen Square, the effects of the one child policy, human rights abuses, or suppression of Tibet? Obviously you want to best face forward and the games are about the athletes and not the politics. For once, I agreed with President Bush when the camera panned to him looking at his watch. Yeah, I'm a little put off too.


2 comments:

Bill Vinson said...

Don't feed the trolls. They have nothing useful to say and usually they're just trying to get a rise out of you, so just ignore and delete them going forward.

Unfortunately, the Internet often brings out the worst in people as they say things that wouldn't fly in the real world, but here, there are no consequences...

As far as China goes, it's very disappointing to see how they've handled their human rights record and the freedom of journalists leading up to the games, but I can't say we could have expected much more. These days the IOC doesn't seem interested in the meaning of the games, but rather the money of the games. They lock it up as tight as China does on an average day and prevent people from freely reporting on the olympics all to protect their lucrative contracts with the news networks...

I'm going to watch a bit, but in general, I think I will remain disappointed in what the games have become. When I was younger, they were magical...now, they seem to represent nothing more than capitalism and do a disservice to the amazing athletes who are simply trying to compete...

Bill V

LauraC said...

Hear hear. Very rarely did I ever cheer for protestors in SF (some kind of protest was ALWAYS going on) but this is one where I was proud to call myself a former San Fran.

PS. I get the crazies too :)