Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Is it Un-American?

to be happy that the Chinese Women's gymnastics team won the gold? don't get me wrong, I once fantasized that I could be Mary Lou one day and even had an Olympic themed birthday party (what else can you do in January)? Watching the final floor performance by the elder member of the Chinese team made me realize that while the US athletes give up a normal life, the Chinese seem to also given up their families in the sake of training camps starting at age 3.

I don't see the camera's panning to proud moms and dads who are likely not in attendance. I would imagine that while having a child be selected to train for potential success brings them better standing and likely some wealth. It seems that for the Chinese their presence to host the games and then win gold is likely the single greatest accomplishment they will ever bestow on their country, family, and selves. In that thought, I think they deserve every bit of praise they didn't get from the US commentators tonight who instead were catty about the age contraversy. Cheng Fei, your smile equaled Michael Phelps to me.

No comments: