Thursday, April 8, 2010

Proud

Bill is about to cross the 200 lb mark and over 160 lbs lost likely by summer. My guess is that as he reaches a year out he is going to plateau much like I did at 147 lbs at 9 months post surgery. Either way he is BEYOND the goal he set for himself as well as the maximum that expected for him to loose. Can I just say, PROUD beyond reason of him. Proud. not only for all the work he has put into his weight loss but in the many ways he has totally transformed his life in the last year.

He looks phenomenal to the point that friends who haven't seen him in a while have commented, "I wouldn't have known that was him until I saw you or Ben with him." With that I have also gotten the "must be nice to be able to take off the weight so easily" comments to which the mama bear in me has retorted, "yeah major abdominal surgery and months long recovery is always your first choice."

For such a long time after my own surgery I would have never been so rude, but knowing how hard this has been for him, what major lifestyle changes had to happen, and then the amount of energy that it takes to keep going when you would rather not, Hell yeah I am going to stand up for him.

He recently trained and ran in his first race a local 5K. For someone who rarely gets misty eyed a most anything, I a mess when he crossed the finish line. Ben was jumping up and down we were both chanting, "Go Daddy Go" and it was a sweet, sweet moment. We made this obnoxious sign the night before and tried to keep it a secret until Ben told him (and the fact that it was taking up most of the dining room table). Ben too got into the action and ran his own race, a 100 meter dash complete with a mommy-made medal. A childhood anchored in a healthy lifestyle. What else could I wish to pass on to him?

It is simply unbelievable what a difference a year makes for so many things that have happened in our family. Just as I knew when it seemed like we were stressed to the limit that we would prevail as having an indomitable spirit seems to be a family trait. It's even more sweet to think that a year later we have been each other's biggest cheerleaders through some really tough times. And for that I am eternally thankful and appreciative for his support with this pregnancy as well as finally getting it why the surgery IS a life changing event.

Go Daddy, and Keep Going, for all the ways you have reinvented yourself.

4 comments:

Liz Jimenez said...

DUDE! What an incredible accomplishment. HUGE kudos to Bill, and three cheers for introducing kids to a healthy lifestyle. For some of us (ahem, me), it doesn't come as easily as it does for those naturally athletic folks. But I think it's just as valuable for our kids to see us work hard and make enormous progress. AWESOME.

Beth said...

Congrats to Bill! That is awesome. And go you for being such an awesome support system. (BTW--you know now that every time you don't post for a few days, I'm going to think you've gone into labor! LOL)

LauraC said...

I didn't mean to cut you off last night! YES SUPER PROUD! Very awesome accomplishment!

Unknown said...

Congrats to Bill for sure! That is good news