Monday, April 12, 2010

Happy Due Date!

The weekend came with lots of pain and pressure but once again no regular contractions. OB appointment on Friday resulted in going back later today to have my membranes sweeped and a scheduled induction on Wed if nothing happens in the next 48 hours. That is if I am not bumped as I am the last scheduled procedure for the week for any practice using my hospital. If that happens I am looking at Monday the 19th. I am seriously ready to have this baby. Over the weekend I got stuck in both my car and on the couch needing Bill's help. Believe me when I say it's not for a lack of trying to get things going naturally.

Working with my Doula I have been using several homeopathic labor inducing remedies as well as the TENS acupressure machine on labor trigger points. As much as I don't want to do an induction (like with Ben after my water broke with no contractions), I also don't want to continue on and really, really don't want to have to hold out. With an induction, I know what to expect, that it may lead to other interventions, but I've done it before and without meds so it is possible. It's a trade off I am willing to make as I am seriously thinking this birth, much like the entire pregnancy has been a rerun of 2006.

It seems like years have passed since we were planning the IVF cycle last spring, being in Boston with all the emotions and pain of shots to stimulate in July, flying early to do the retrieval and missing my presentation, and then the waiting to find out if it all worked.

I really can't complain that I have had two weeks away from work to get my house in order, arrange for lots of items marked off my to do list. All baby gear has been prepped and ready. I have participated in some marathon sleep as well as marathon Mad Men watching. And most importantly spent lots of time with my family under the beautiful spring sun.

Hoping beyond hope that the week ends with a sweet baby, regardless of how he arrives.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thinking of you Heather, and sending lots of good labor dust your way. I think this baby must know that you needed that time, and I'm so glad it's been both productive and relaxing. I hope the next time we hear from you, you'll have an awesome birth story to relate. Hugs!