Tuesday, December 23, 2008

File that under Christmas 2009, 2010, 2011...


One of the things I want to remember this holiday are all the great ideas I have read, heard, or seen in action that I want to include for future years. Number 3 is of my own imagination I'm proud to say.

1. Make a Santa Sleigh Landing Strip using a string of blinking lights and cardboard. Kids get to decorate and pretend Santa is landing with their gifts.

2. Make salt dough ornaments using this recipe. Use food coloring in the dough to avoid the painting step.

3. Create the 12 days of crafts leading up to the big day and have a art walk to display complete with fancy kid drinks and treats for your guests.

4. Make a pan of rice crispy treats and cut using holiday cookie cutters. Decorate with sprinkles and candy (nice alternative to cookies)

5. Christmas shirts using felt, hot glue, and bag o' sparkles- this one I did after my iron on transfer didn't work. I am in the process of making a snowman for January and likely hearts for Feb. I hope I can stop myself and not make 12 shirts.

6. Participating in a cookie swap gives you a ton of cookies for guests, coworkers, family without all the work.

7. Make Stocking Countdown Calendar next year Family Fun Magazine is a favorite, but I discovered all these cool online projects at thier site today.

8. Take time to write each year in the Advent book I made by hand at a NCCAT seminar last year. The book has four internal hand folded envelopes, each with an advent themes of Love, Peace, Joy, Hope, and Christ. Within each envelope is a hand bound book on which I can record the next 20 years of Christmas in our home.
It took almost 17 hours to make the book, sew the bindings and envelopes. Of all my crafy-crafiness it is one of my most proud achievements. So tommorrow in keeping with my own tradition I will put on some Windham Hill and write about this very special holiday.

No comments: