Thursday, December 18, 2008

Code for Hellion in 7.5 shoes

I got a thank you note from one of Ben's teachers yesterday for the giftbasket I had made her. In the note she referenced, Ben's "creative energy that encourages her".

Ok- as a fellow teacher I can read between the lines. My son is a wild hellion. Oh dear, this is not what I had hoped for this year. I think we are doing an OK job with discipline at home in being consistent and establishing rules.

In yesterday's John Rosemond's parenting column he talked about 6 ways to get you child ready for life. all were food for thought-

1. Put yourself at the center of your child's attention
2. Give your child a meaningful role (responsibilities) within the family- ben helps feed our dog, cleans up toys before bed, and hangs up his jacket nightly
3. Electronic media minimized until they can read and self entertain
4. Keep toys on the minimum side, low maintenance kids have fewer toys that they appreciate more (Bill read this one again)
5. Empathize manners over skills (Heather read his one again)
6. Love your child enough to raise a happy child.

well stated-

1 comment:

LauraC said...

If you've got one hellion, I've got two! I think 2.5 year old boys are just full of energy and crazy!