Friday, October 31, 2008

Providence

Greeting from NCCAT. As much as I wished that I could have been with Ben and Bill tonight to go trick o treating (video coming tomorrow), I cannot begin to say how much I needed this trip alone this weekend. An absolutely beautiful drive to the mountains in all the fall color glory complete with my audiobook Band of Rivals.

I got here in time to take a long walk around Western Carolina's campus before meeting the 20 fellow teachers that were also picked to particate over the next 2 years (4 weekend sessions per year). As we introduced ourselves before our afternoon activities I realized that all of us are struggling with different challenges in our teaching careers. I think that being apart of this cohort will really help me clarify what direction I want to go at the end of this year.

On to some yummy comfort foods served to us on white table cloths and a big fire after dinner as we worked on a visual journaling project. Tomorrow am we are hiking on an area trail as well as more outlets for artistic creativity. This place is cathartic, collaborative, and helps to define why part of my identity is so wrapped up in this profession. Thank you to Bill who is making these weekends possible. I wish I could say I want to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua tomorrow instead of being here, but I think I'll leave it to the boys for their weekend together.

No comments: