Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wait for it....Do You Hear it?

If you listen very closely you can hear the sound of my spring break melting away with the remaining snow on my deck. In a decision that only my mom would make for short sightedness, we are closed again today. Yep... we now officially are losing Spring Break and have NO workdays for the entire rest of the spring semester. Want to see fun, come visit any classroom where the kids literally gave up every day to be out so that they didn't have to walk on a flake of snow to get into the school.

Last night on our local news between the main story of low turnout on a online survey as to reverse a bunch of year round schools was the story about missing spring break due to now not roads but that there was snow in the parking lots. Should I whip out my, "back in the day we had to walk to school in the snow barefoot story" or is more of a matter of if another district closes then we must too. Given there are rural parts of the county that I'm sure are icy at 6 am when kids start loading buses is part of the logic, but by 9 am I think 95% of students could make it.

News flash... as a parent you have options including driving your kid to school instead of using the bus, not living on a dirt road 20 miles from civilization and still expecting bus service to your door, or tell your kid to suck it up.

As far as days I am now officially working without pay for my maternity leave. Ben's school is closed for break from March 26th-April 5th for which if we go to school those days giving up break then I have to take them unpaid as paying for a sitter seems stupid at already 39 weeks prego.

After posting final grades in labor no less on the day Ben was born I will not, repeat not be at school until the bitter end. My kids were totally freaked out that everywhere I went I took a towel that last week working. The catch is that under state law that governs state employees, I cannot take one day of paid (with my sick days with a sub deduction no less once I exhaust a specific number of days) leave until the birth of the child, unless I have some valid reason to be out under a documented doctors care. I jokingly said something last visit and got a nice, " oh you are going to be fine... aka don't ask for something fraudulent glare."

So we will see, so much is in the air with coming back, what can we afford for me to take off, can I really stay at home and not go insane, what to do about Ben and Kindergarten options since this may dictate where I try to go back and teach. Much to think about and decide. For today I a focusing on getting the house cleaned, making food to take with me to SC on Friday for what I hope will be my final SC run given my mom just came home from rehab hospital, and getting caught on on what seems endless laundry.

Who knows if we will be back tomorrow. At this point I may need to just summarize the ratification of the Constitution, as "it happened folks, and was kinda important."

1 comment:

Beth said...

Aghhhhh--that sucks. All of the school districts in our area are closed today, EXCEPT for DC, which opened on time. I think everyone overreacted a bit, but what do I know. LMBO at your description of not wanting the kids to walk on a snowflake!