Friday, February 12, 2010

Phone Friday- Are you Dancin' the VD Polka?


Don't ask, it's a long, long story from college years but needless to say I am NOT a touchy-feely gotta have flowers on this ONE day kinda gal. In fact I once told Bill if he DID ever succumb to this Hallmark-inspired day and pay at 200% mark-up then I would personally kick his ass.

So as of Wed Ben's school sent late word out that the hippie school was going to recognize VDay with the kids. We were invited to make "healthy snacks" and bring valentines to exchange. I made 2 batches of cupcakes and totally screwed up the icing so they got pink-colored sweetened condensed milk thinned out with a butt-load of M&Ms on top to cover up the nastiness of the "icing". So what, it's pink and sweet. The school hosted this afternoon a big tent with items to buy for your partner and I kid you not it was all handmade windcatchers and goddess statues.Still waiting on that hemp bag!

For his teachers I made a separate batch of cookies and divided them between his teachers and a note thanking them for loving him and for all their help in the poop dept. While this may not convey a traditional "I love you", he has made real progress and I can't take credit.

Being of the crafty or want to be crafty and live in some type of Martha Stewart dream world I made special valentines using a recent fav picture and this hot pink monkey paper. I mailed them using some of my mom's greatest hits of postage I need to add stamps. The rest of the class is getting Scooby-Scooby cheapo cards bought yesterday at the grocery and addressed while I waited for NO parents so show up last night at Open House. Hey, it's 2nd semester and kinda pointless to come again for the same dog and pony show. Why don't I ever remember my parents ever saying, "gotta go make that meeting and meet all your teachers."

Ben and I also made a Valentines Day House out of a clean Chinese take out box. I have to admit I thought of this idea on my own while at Pei Wei last weekend and he loved helping with all the stickers, including many he put on his body.

On the adult front Bill and I bought tickets to see Bill Maher back in October and have great seats. We are double-dating with our friends Matt and Chrissy for sushi downtown before the show. SCORE for an adult evening out with old friends and to have a babysitter.

Vday is the MOST overrated holiday unless you fall into one of two categories.

1: 9th grader professing their love in explicit detail using words only the young understand. I confiscated undoubtedly the nastiest note ever written by the pregnancy-test scare crowd yesterday in class.

2. Single-folk that think that all those in relationships are having wild sex on this obligatory day of love doing said things from that note. Hint, Hint... sleeping in Sunday morning is more likely a plan for more than want to admit. As far as flowers, Bill knows surprising me on some totally random day is a better bet.

No comments: